Connecting A Humminbird Gps

nic_ally_king

Hi guys,

Just got up from downstairs trying to install a humminbird GPS receiver I got a good price on from in the states. It's all in fine, connected up to a matrix 27 - which is a few yrs old and doesn't have latest software, but should still be fine surely (maybe ableit all features.. will update this as soon as I've fixed this prob).

The GPS comes w 3 cables, power, earth - and then - a white one (NMEA or something like this) - the fishfinder won't find the GPS when I turn it on and it says it is not connected. I HAVE NOT connected the white cable to anything - I have no idea where it goes!! ...so i'm assuming here in lies the problem..

Can anyone help me??

Do you still have the installation manual for the matrix 27? If you do it would say in there what colour the NMEA wires are and w/c one is input/output.

Think you might even be able to google a manuel aswell and then just print it out.

Think you might even be able to google a manuel aswell and then just print it out.

Yeh I've got both manuals. The GPS one is terrible. It says it the NMAE (or something like that) in, but no telling what to do with it..

Is it a actual HB GPS. When Ii put mine on it was simply a case of using the "Y" connector and plugging it in. It was then recognised as an avaliable option on the menu. Why has it not got teh plug on it?

If it isn't a HB original reciever then it has to be installed as a NMEA unit

Is it a actual HB GPS. When Ii put mine on it was simply a case of using the "Y" connector and plugging it in. It was then recognised as an avaliable option on the menu. Why has it not got teh plug on it?

If it isn't a HB original reciever then it has to be installed as a NMEA unit

Yeh it is a HB GPS. it has the Y connector. Its set out like this...

cable coming from GPS unit, splits in two (one goes off to form the plug that plugs into the fishfinder, and the other one the power, earth and white cables aswell as another plug for other HB accessories ie, smart cast/weather sense.....

confused

Ca't get to mine today but will have a look. My GPS reciever was a GR9 or something and I had a second one thet was the 12 satelite model and when I changed over I only remember one lead off the "Y "but that was 2 yeras ago.

Will have a look as I can't remember a seperate power

Ca't get to mine today but will have a look. My GPS reciever was a GR9 or something and I had a second one thet was the 12 satelite model and when I changed over I only remember one lead off the "Y "but that was 2 yeras ago.

Will have a look as I can't remember a seperate power

Thanks mate.

The other plug would be just left disconnected (to be used only with the other HB accessories), I just can't figure out what to do with the white cable that runs with the red and black. It must be important, but where it goes is amystery to me. There's certainly no plug attached to it and there is no input on the GPS or fishfinder for it.. so it's made to be soldered on to something but what..