Barometer Holding Steady

wttmrwolf

The barometer seems to be holding steady as the storms hit Sydney. Would love to test the theory that fish binge feed on a rapid drop in atmospheric pressure. The barometer has been in the 1020-25 range for over 4 days now.

Obviously its a hassle to measure changes in barometer when out fishing (except if you have one of those watch gauges). Maybe everyone could post the time that they catch fish in the next few days and we'll see if there is an increase in catch rates that corresponds with a sharp barometer change.

Since the atmospheric pressure is pretty consistent across Sydney we might be able to get enough reports to pickup a change in catch rates.

Here is a link to see current hPa in areas around NSW

Observatory Hill - http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDN60901/IDN60901.94768.shtml

Airport - http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDN60901/IDN60901.94767.shtml

Lake Mac - http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDN60901/IDN60901.95767.shtml

Norah Head - http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDN60901/IDN60901.95770.shtml

Happy fishing

Hi guys,

I have a sea pathfinder watch which show the current barometre and the previous 24 hours.

The barometre reading on this watch is very accurate and i have noticed many times that when there is a sudden rise or drop fish do go crazy but especially squid.

When this happens i have caught squid one after the other.

I guess you cant count on it every time there is a rise or drop but its amazing how often i have noticed this over the past year that i have had the watch.

Cheers

Squidking.

Edited by thesquidking

Was that the theory?

I always thought a rapid drop puts the fish OFF the bite and a steady rise gets them biting.

Heh... what do i know that's only stuff Ive read, Ive never once checked the barometer before going fishing... Although i do know what the weathers doing and how that affects the barometer, but as for specific readings no Ive never checked.

Musty

Hi Musty Regarding barometric pressure and it's affect on fishing....Here's something of mine that I have great belief in for you to think about...Try it out for yourself Musty, it only takes a bit of pre-planning before you go out and after a while you'll get to know the times that give you the best chances.....

Fishing is normally best during rising barometric pressure and for the first hour or two of falling pressure. Sudden changes in pressure usually see fish in feeding mode.

Fishing is generally always poor during low or constant barometric pressure.

The info below is about it in a nutshell :-

.......Steady rise continuing = best.......

......Rapid rate of rise or rapid rate of fall = good until pressure steadies and bite starts to slow......

.....Ongoing steady pressure = poor .... {Edit :- Ongoing steady pressure = poor fishing but the trap is ongoing steady pressure days can include the nicest of boating days out of the elements}

.......Falling pressure continuing = good at first and then changing to poor.......

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

The info below is about it in a nutshell :-

Steady rise continuing = best

Rapid rate of rise or rapid rate of fall = good until pressure steadies and bite starts to slow.

Ongoing steady pressure = poor

Falling pressure continuing = good at first and then changing to poor

so true

i use this site to check on my days fishing

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDN60901/IDN60901.94767.shtml

so true

i use this site to check on my days fishing

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDN60901/IDN60901.94767.shtml

Hi Robbie It wouldn't hurt to do your double checks with the free weather station that I use below... knowing how you and your Dad take your planning seriously, you'll probably be sold on this weather site straight away anyway...With the 3 minute updates upon opening or a click or a refresh you'll have everything you need to know right at your fingertips for planning your hit and runs in quality time instead of having to endure quantities of poor to middling fishing which we all don't really mind falling back on anyway for the love of the sport ......

....You and your Dad rely on sp/s and using an electric instead of testing the waters with bait first, fair enough ..it wouldn't take long for you to guess that the sensible way of my getting my take home fish is to use bait... To me a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush and then the sp fun and self satisfaction can be had....you can even turn fishing into a turkey shoot in the right locations when they're firing...you know I'm knocking sp/s by any means, it's the future and there's much more hi tec to come......

Conditions forecast and the conditions you pre empt yourself allows you to pick the eyes out of it with a big jab of encouragement to try and get out there in accordance with the barometric pressure readings.... after a while you'll get to know the times that gave you the best results and the times when you'll only get tired arms using sp/s.........

This is the weather site Robbie, let me know what you think of it.....give me a call and I'll tell you a bit more as it hurts my back to sit and type too much

http://home.pacific.net.au/~gregford/frwxauto.html

Cheers

That's a good site, Jewgaffer. Do you know of one that covers the Hawkesbury system? Particularly up around Wisemans Ferry, where it looks like this is the area I'm most likely to fish (due to having a van there and I'm not really into skiing!).

Baz

Guest Big-Banana

Or you can forget the barometer, get on the water and fish hard.

Who's heard, Barometer, 1020 fish are plenty. If I waited for the barometer to hit the mark, I’d spend more time on land then I would fishing!

Get out there :1prop:

Or you can forget the barometer, get on the water and fish hard.

Who's heard, Barometer, 1020 fish are plenty. If I waited for the barometer to hit the mark, I’d spend more time on land then I would fishing!

Get out there :1prop:

I agree big banana! in an ideal world we could all plan our fishing around the barometric pressure but due to the fact that most of us lead very busy lives outside of our available fishing trips it usually isnt possible to plan a trip based on barametric pressure alone. I personally have caught fish under all sorts of conditions so just get out there and do your best! all of this info is great stuff to put in the back of your memory so that when your fishing availability lines up with a rising barometer or a sharp fall before a storm we can use it to our advantage. I NEVER repeat NEVER read a barometer before planning a fishing trip or as you say I would spend more time on dry land than on the water, but in my experience inclement wheather usually means more fish, I cant count the number of times I have caught good fish on days when very few other people are on the water due to bad wheather conditions. get out there and enjoy yourself I say!

Pete.

Hi folks, I totally understand the point of just getting out on the water and fishing, busy lives etc. It's for the exact same reason that I plan trips. I look at it this way. If I can only fish one night until 3am because I have work the next day which night is going to give me the most fun. I have hours to kill while I am at work or waiting for the wife/kids to go to bed. I can handle 1 night a week with 3 hours sleep ;)

The funny thing is I got impatient last night and went fishing until 2am targetting Jews. That was fun with 30knt winds! The squid were active at least.