Flatties & Floods

slinkymalinky

Found this very interesting... I went to Jacob's Well just to have some fish & chip lunch with :wife: today and on the sand in front of the car park I saw this....

post-6175-1243395038_thumb.jpg

There are about a dozen lies in just the area in the photo but a whole section of sand about 20mx3m was covered in them. Nearly all the fish were in the 30-40cm bracket.

The interesting thing is that this shot is of a patch of sand that is usually above the high water mark. It borders a rock retaining wall at the mouth of a run-off/storm water creek. There is debris from the flood tides in the car park at the boat ramp so I can only think they lined up in this particular spot to snaffle a bonanza of bait during the huge tides.

Not unlike trout moving into flooded margins in a lake. Next time there is a flood up here I know where to go and have a fish... and I'll try other usually dry spots where the current is likely to push the poor little unsuspecting bait fish.

Cheers, Slinky

Great photo mate. Seeing flathead 'lies' in the sand is a fairly frequent occurrence, but to have them all facing the SAME direction ... that's interesting. I have seen similar numbers here on occasion, but they're usually in random directions, particularly around weed beds.

Hodgey

Hey slinky

Don't you just love it when you see that.

Filed straight away into the old grey matter and you don't even have to write it down.

And bingo when the conditions are repeated.

Top photo and top spotting.

Cheers

Trapper Tom

Dnno where i heard this but i remember someone telling me that flathead face towards the current so that when small fish get stuck in the current all they gottta do get up and take em.

Maybe thats why the fish are facing the same way.

Amazing pic though i hav never seen anything like it above water