Bream Frenzy

fishermangreg

Around 3 weeks ago i had a job cleaning up a little beach section at a house in castlecrag on middle harbour. I had to scrape a rock clean that had a few oysters growing on it. When the tide started to come back in the bream were not shy at all. A few of the big ones were well over the kilo mark. My bad for not having a rod with me but it was fun to watch. post-5824-1243650877_thumb.jpg

Around 3 weeks ago i had a job cleaning up a little beach section at a house in castlecrag on middle harbour. I had to scrape a rock clean that had a few oysters growing on it. When the tide started to come back in the bream were not shy at all. A few of the big ones were well over the kilo mark. My bad for not having a rod with me but it was fun to watch. post-5824-1243650877_thumb.jpg

ok well im gonna put my hand up and say next tgime u need to do a similar job just lemme know where to be and ill be there3 with a rod in hand and using some of the oysters as bait i could yhandle a few of the miod sized ones as a feed.... :tease:

Around 3 weeks ago i had a job cleaning up a little beach section at a house in castlecrag on middle harbour. I had to scrape a rock clean that had a few oysters growing on it.

Since when is a rock with oysters growing on it considered dirty?. Intertidal zones should be respected not destroyed.

Edited by Mick

Sorry, i should have gone into more detail about what happened. I guess my bad also for not thinking that taking 50 or so oysters that will grow back anyway of a rock from a tidal system that has BILLIONS of oysters along its rocky shoreline would bring out the fun police. :1yikes:

The owner of the property uses the beach nearly every weekend with family and friends. They use it a lot for launching, disembarking and retrieving kayaks and in the past some people have cut their feet on the sharp oysters when the tides up a bit and the waters murky. The top of the rock was very slippery and even the slightest pressure on it caused you to slip and be cut deeply by the oysters that were on it.

But hey, i'm open to debate about this. Am i an enviromental terrorist?

i dont think your an environmental terrorist i think its just a matter of oppinion me personally i have seen the damage that a nice set of oyster cuts can cause it cost kme swimming at national and if it was to stop personal injury i dnt see it being an issue and bvesides u gave a set of clearly hungry breambos a decent feww :1prop:

This is a bit of a grey area. :wacko:

From reading the DPI website it states that no invertabrate are to be COLLECTED from intertidal protected areas which includes Sydney Harbour.

The bag limit for oysters is 50 in total from areas where you are allowed to collect them.

If fishermangreg took those oysters for a feed then he is breaking the law. If he simply scraped them into the water then does that qualify as collecting?

I'm going to leave this thread open for a bit of discussion but be careful of what you post.

If this degenerates into a slanging match & has any personal attacks posted then I will close it & warnings will be applied.

Cheers,

Grant.

Im with you Jewhunter

Not only were they not "collected" they were not in "Possession". No more said.

UUmmmmm bugger it, will add

Noted oysters are not an endangered species and on my last count last week there were 15 Trillion of the little suckers in Syd Harbour.

Fishermangreg Thanks for the effort in posting the photo, I thought it was good and well spotted.

Cheers

Trapper T

the way i see it is if the oysters are going or are causing injury to the owners then they should be allowed to remove them regardless

but that not to say they could lay a blanket or something over the oyster covered rock but in my end up in the ocean as a consequence

if someone cuts their foot and slips it could be a trip to hospital .

removing the oysters is nothing they will grow back over time

and at any rate they were not kept the fish ate them

good pic fishermangrag

Possibly people haven’t see 40 years of degeneration of intertidal zones around the Sydney basin like I have. They have enough forces impacting on them already including us and don’t need direct destruction for no apparent reason added to the list.

The fore shores were once teaming with life, turn over a rock and crabs worms, prawns etc were in abundance and even cunji, could be found growing way up the Parra River, these days you are lucky to find it on an ocean rock platform except on a very low tide. Ribbon weed was that prevalent that you were sure to slip on some approaching any part of a water waterway in Sydney. These days black fisherman are very close lipped about their rare pockets of areas that still produce the bait they treasure. I have had just about every part of my body, ripped open by oysters over the years but I haven’t started a personal vendetta on them. I think it’s great to see oysters still very prevalent in some areas of Sydney and that’s why we should be looking after these zones.

If the post were about kicking a couple of oysters in to the water than who would care, but when it is stated you are “cleaning” a rock, which by the way belongs to the public, because it has oysters growing on it, then I certainly have a problem. It’s got nothing about being fun police or green, it’s to do with having respect for the environment that we all use. This post is very good fuel for organisations like the NPA and if you think things grow back, I’m still waiting 40 years later for some things, which I ‘m sure I will never see in the same areas, where they once flourished.

Don’t take offence, these are only personal opinions like we all have, and probably spurred on more by a recent encounter I had when I took my kids to an area of the Parramatta River which I frequented in my youth, as I wanted to show them all the creatures that lived under the rocks. After an hour of turning over rocks and replacing them I could not find one living creature, which left a very sour taste and some very disappointed kids.

If you want to see bream in a frenzy, throw in a loaf of bread. It’s a lot easier and a lot quicker.