Fishing Report Off Botany

Ross Hunter

Fishing over the past fortnight has been tough mainly because of the inclement weather.

However, in between gale forced winds and squally conditions our trips have been most successful.

In Botany Bay there has been some big tailor around the heads these fish have ranged up to 1.5kg and have been in schools just on dark.

Bonito too, have been everywhere as well as rat kings off Shaky at La Perouse.

My fishing partners Norm Jefferies and John Kearns and myself have fished the upper Georges for some good catches of blackfish, this however was before the rains so maybe that has slowed them up a little with the extra fresh in the river.

Bream have been excellent in the Georges with some big fish caught this week at The Moons and Lugarno best baits salted striped tuna or mullet gut.

On BOADBILL and BILLFISHER we have been catching school yellowfin to 30kg out wide and targeting the kingfish on jigs in close.

The kingies have ranged from undersize to 80cm’s They are plentiful at the Peak, 12 mile and at Bluefish off North Head Sydney Harbour, but remember that a couple per angler is enough.

These fish are just coming back from the slaughter of a couple of decades ago from the lethal kingfish traps so let’s give them a chance not like one boat I heard of that killed 50 kingfish in a session, that’s plain irresponsible fishing.

These fish are still recovering and are still in juvenile stage they should be caught and released as much as possible.

Let’s work on this and consider the fishery for others, whole sale slaughter of fish is plain stupid in today’s thinking.

There are big schools of striped tuna any where from the heads out to 70 fathoms always fun on light tackle.

Predictions for the next fortnight Good snapper down south, great tuna fishing out wide and kingfish at the 12 mile and off Bluefish at Sydney Harbour

Captain Ross and Glenn Hunter’s boats BILLFISHER and BROADBILL are available for charter on 9534 2378

Or visit our web site www.gamefishingcharters.com.au for more detailed reports and some great photos

post-2782-1243991934_thumb.jpg

post-2782-1243992002_thumb.jpg

post-2782-1243992026_thumb.jpg

post-2782-1243992131_thumb.jpg

post-2782-1243992218_thumb.jpg

Sounds Good Ross.

Hopefully the Fin will be around in larger numbers very soon.

See you out there on the weekend.

Andrew

Chill Factor

Andrew,

Let's hope so Glenn's on the Broadbill swordfish to night and I am fishing every day to Wed. Bring on the tuna

Ross