Patanoster Rig For Squidding

sam0216

I have been recently fishing in balmoral for some squid, and people at the wharf said try and get it deep for bigger squid, so i changed to a 3.5 jig, and got nothing!.

But i ve read some forum details on this wonderful site, however i cant understand how you would use a patanoster rig to set the jig up, and like how would you retrieve it?

G"day Sam,

Don't use a paternoster set up for squidding off the shore at Balmorral mate. The use of a paternoster set up for squid is really only for when you're fishing 'straight up and down'... usually in very deep water (say more than 8-10m) or when you're fishing from a boat that is drifting quite fast (like in the current under the spit bridge).

There are a few keys to catching squid but a couple of the most important are that for Calamari squid (what you'll get at Balmorral) you need to be retrieving your jig sloooooowly, just above the weed. Pick a jig size based on water depth so that you can be doing this, rather than based on squid size.

A paternoster cast from the shore at Balmorral is just going to snag up every time. If you ever do use a paternoster for squid out of a boat or something, just set it up the same as if you were bottom bouncing for fish, only tie on jigs instead of hooks. I'd recommend sticking to only 1 jig the first few times you try. Make sure you keep the length of the dropper connecting your jig, short enough so the jig can't reach your sinker or any other part of your rig... to avoid tangles.

As you drift, just a slow lift and drop or occasional hop off the bottom works fine.

Cheers, Slinky

Thank you for your info slinky, i was just curious because at balmoral they use some type of rig with a glow stick as well, so i thought that was a patanoster.

Thank you very much, i read your squid article which is great, but didnt mention the rig so i thought there was more to it.

Thank you once again and tight lines

Cheap jigs won't do you any good either... Make sure they're quality ones ,most people will recommend you to use Yamashita or Yo-zuri.

Anyway, some people use a spray on attractant which brings squid to the jig. Some people use glowsticks a few cm above their jig. (fixed).

Some people don't even use large jigs and still can land large squid. As long as you get your jig down deep enough to where the squid are, and avoid hitting the snags down there!

I fished Balmoral before, sometimes the squid just aren't around.