Optimax Problem

beakie

Gday guys,

just wondering if anyone on the site has owned or owns an optimax and has had any issues with the motor changing revs whilst idleing or travelling ?. I have a 2002 200 optimax and lately it has been constantly changing its revs as it feels like. Optimax dealers have had it on the computer and tell us that there is no faults ! so basically dont worry about it !. Has anyone else had this problem ?, if so what was the verdict.

Cheers. :(

hi mate ,i have an o9 opti and it had a slight issue with changing revs at idle

it was caused by a battery that was to small it had to be 850cca and it was a 650cca that was fitted and when i had all the electrics and cd on it ran a bit rough at idle(changed up and down revs)

it happened after a day jigging where it idled all morning and everything esle was on drawing power

the solution was to fit a big 850cca battery and then have that just to run the engine and then have all accessories going to the second battery and running a voltage sensitive relay to charge both but charge the start battery before the accessory battery

not sure if its the same thing that happened to your engine as mine never played up when it was going just sounded funny as it idled

just thought id share that

pm us if you have any queries

cheers arman

Ive had the same thing happen to my 75optimax but was also told that this dose happen on the occasion.

Do think the battery idea is one to look at, but i dont think it's going to affect the form the motor.

Looking forward to hearing more replys to this topic.

Hi, all modern clean tec engines, being that they are more complicated than the basic carby design, require a few things up to spec that in the older engines you can skimp on. Make sure you battery is easily above the CCA rating for the OPTI and you do not have wing nuts. I would inpect the fuel system and replace filters if not done recently. You can do static tests and dynamic test with your engine, has anyone done these and also you should have a fuel pressure test done and make sure the air/fuel difference is 10 PSI, very critical with an OPTI. I imagine they have done the basics like 6 good spark and compression and if so, change out the plugs to the correct ones and ideally you are propped to see about 5500 at WOT, otherwise you will not be in sync throughout the rev range and that leads to running issues.

Cheers,

Huey.

Gday guys,

just wondering if anyone on the site has owned or owns an optimax and has had any issues with the motor changing revs whilst idleing or travelling ?. I have a 2002 200 optimax and lately it has been constantly changing its revs as it feels like. Optimax dealers have had it on the computer and tell us that there is no faults ! so basically dont worry about it !. Has anyone else had this problem ?, if so what was the verdict.

Cheers. :(

hi,

i have a optimax 90 for about 6 years,no problem what so ever.

would not have anything else.

i get it serviced once a year

cheers

We have a 75 Opti and it does reduce revs and speed on its own, only when i dont have my hand on the throttle though.

All it is, is the throttle slipping back when we hit a bump, nothing major but would be nice if it didn't happen. Anybody know if I can tighten it up or something?

Cheers

Josh

We have a 75 Opti and it does reduce revs and speed on its own, only when i dont have my hand on the throttle though.

All it is, is the throttle slipping back when we hit a bump, nothing major but would be nice if it didn't happen. Anybody know if I can tighten it up or something?

Cheers

Josh

i think there is a tension knob in front of the control box

cheers arman

I have a 09 model optimax 200hp. I had the same thing as you and when they tested it it said no faults after a few thing they tested. It ended up being a faulty coil but couldnt find which one so they replaced all 6. But it never came up as a fault. The guy who fixed mine is an opit genues. Now its perfect..

Benny

bender/Anakiwa

Edited by bender

Hi, a cylinder drop test can determine if a coil and therefore cylinder is not running. You need the right tools and training, but is simple to do if a problem does not show up on the fualt screen. Yes there has been a few issues with V6 OPTI coils.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi, a cylinder drop test can determine if a coil and therefore cylinder is not running. You need the right tools and training, but is simple to do if a problem does not show up on the fualt screen. Yes there has been a few issues with V6 OPTI coils.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hey Huey.

Yeah the cylinder drop out test didnt work To find the coil problem. It ran fine when they did that It was just A bit of luck that when they had the computer pluged into it. It mist and he did something with the history and it showed up. But other than that he said you wouldnt have found it.. It was good cause they did all the testing at my house so i could see what they were doing. It was there second attempt to find the problem. Now all i have do find out now is is it using to much oil..

Cheers Benny

Bender/Anakiwa.

Hey Huey.

Yeah the cylinder drop out test didnt work To find the coil problem. It ran fine when they did that It was just A bit of luck that when they had the computer pluged into it. It mist and he did something with the history and it showed up. But other than that he said you wouldnt have found it.. It was good cause they did all the testing at my house so i could see what they were doing. It was there second attempt to find the problem. Now all i have do find out now is is it using to much oil..

Cheers Benny

Bender/Anakiwa.

have you had it the drink lately benny ,as the weather has been s###

cheers arman