New's Of A 101.5kg Southern Bluefin Tuna Or Big Eye Caught

Scon

Hi raiders.

I found out a little while a go that with-in the last month or 2 there was a 101.5kg (and that is weighed) Big Eye Tuna or a Southern Bluefin Tuna caught off Sydney, all i know at the moment is that it weighed in at a whopping 101.5kg :1yikes: and that it was either a Big Eye Tuna or a Southern Bluefin Tuna from what i know and from what i have heard from a reliable source.

I am just wondering, does anyone know anything about it at all or have any photo's or know the lucky angler who caught it?

I do believe it as i heard it from someone i know and trust.

cheers.

Hi Sam-8862

What you heard from somone you know is correct a week gone yesterday a BlueFin Tuna was hooked

by an SGFC boat whilst trolling over the southern corner of the Southern Canyons

The fish ate a 180MM Laser Pro on 24kg lineclass and the lucky angler's name was Mick

and it so happened to be his very first game fish that he has ever caught

after getting pulled from side of the boat to the other during the mamoth tussle and hurting in places he

never knew he had he then had to contend with also gaffing the fish by himself due to the fact of there only

been two on board for the day.........needless to say after subduing the fish and securing it on the

boats marlin board they had to go looking for another boat in enabling to give them a hand to get the fish into

the boat were the fish later weighed in at 101.4kg....

Quite an inituation to somebody who is new into gamefishing .......a fish no doubt he will remember for a

very long time.

Cheers Warnie

what size boat were they in and is the lucky angler who caught the trophy Southern Bluefin Tuna a member of SGFC?

thanks for the info and details Warnie.

do you have a photo of the beast?

sorry i sent you a PM Warnie.

Edited by Sam-8862

what size boat were they in and is the lucky angler who caught the trophy Southern Bluefin Tuna a member of SGFC?

thanks for the info and details Warnie.

do you have a photo of the beast?

sorry i sent you a PM Warnie.

Sam

Here is a bit more info for you and anyone interested.

They were fishing aboard a 32' Luhres and yes he is a member of SGFC...

Interestingly this capture was to be submitted for a record claim on the day only to be blitzed by a run of fish caught out of Bermie over the corresponding period.

by fish of a much bigger calibre than even this fish along with this mentioned fish it was not by its self with quite a number of other boats reporting captures or encounters in been smashed and outgunned by these heavyweights of the tuna family...........These encounters took place with a line starting namely from Browns down to the southern canyons and across to Kiama canyons........That associated body of water now looks to of retreated slightly south but with fishing you never know your luck in a big city......and i am hopefull for them to hang around for a little while longer yet. There is no better time than at present if you are intending to go out looking for some providing that is off course that the weather allows in such...This can be what dreams are made of with sentational fishing to be had if it is all to come together. Good luck to any one willing in giving it a go.....I know i certainally will be back out there trying.

yes i do have pics of the Fish but of poor qaulity.....

Cheers Warnie

imagine if that was on it's way over to Japan and how much the Japanese would pay.

just curious, does anyone know at all how much a Southern Bluefin Tuna at that size would get on something like say the Japanese fish market?

are SBT any good to eat, are they better then yellowfin?

are SBT any good to eat, are they better then yellowfin?

I can tell you that after having eaten both yft last year and bft 2 weeks ago, I and my

fishing crew and our families now see what all the fuss is about, and why bft is worth so

much money. Best fish we have eaten.

I give yft 6/10 and bft a 10/10 thats for sure.