Red Tide= Floating Jewies

pauljm

Hey raiders.... After talking about the toxicity of syd harbour does anyone remember the red tide that happened around the early to mid 90's?..... After fishing outside one day we were heading up river to go home and noticed a bream floating in the water near the gladesville bridge....then we noticed another stud bream and a good jewy floating up river....we stopped the boat to see what was happening (by this time we were west of bridge) and noticed the water was a deep red and there were dead fish everywhere including 5 to 10 kg jewys washing up on the shoreline.....enough to bring tears to your eyes! From memory the older fisho in fishing club reckoned it was called a red tide and it was some algae that deoxygenised the water i think? He said it happened now and then? I havent seen one since has anyone else? and anyone else remember it?

So the fish asphyxiated? They'd still be safe to eat wouldnt they?

Unsure about the whole deoxygenating bit.....i was hoping someone else could confirm or deny that? Trust me if you could have seen the colour of the water and all the dead fish you would be brave to eat them. Hoping someone else remembers the same incident.....

Yeah its some sort of algal bloom....like the blue green one that was in the upper hawkesbury a few years back by the look of it....

you afre right about the deoxyginating the water but i doubt anyone would be brave enough to eat its atm caused the closure of part of durras lake in murramarang national park to all fishing and boating not a red tide but another tide of algal bloom neways theres my 2 bobs wrth

agreed - dont eat the fish.

I found this site which gives alot of detail: http://serc.carleton.edu/microbelife/topics/redtide/

The algae, whose scientific name is Cochlodinium polykrikoides, absorb oxygen at a high rate, especially at night. Reduced oxygen levels can harm fish, and the algae can also kill them by clogging their gills.

Edited by tan the fisherman

RAIDERS, Red tides occur naturally usually during warmer months and according to water temp changes....(higher temps). The micro-organisms that occur eat oxygen like crazy and therefore kill fish like crazy. Shellfish are turned extremely dangerous to human consumption and will absolutely kill you if eaten! IE .....Mussels, Oysters,Clams,Ect...Filter feeders in general. Do not eat any fish ,anywhere, anytime if you do not know what killed it !!!!! Use common sence guys! CHEERS, Tom the Yank