Three Day's Fishing In Qld

I've had a fairly hectic Easter, as I finished work a couple of days early to get some fishing in before spending some family time.

Wednesday morning I went north to Lake Monduran, about 20km north of Gin Gin, or 380km north of Brisneyland. I arrived there at 12.30pm, and started fishing almost immediately. I found a great little school of about a dozen 45-55cm Barra sitting on the surface in an old Lantana bush. First cast with an Arafura spooked them, so I waited a while and used my Bass rod and chucked a Blitzie at them. One nosed it, but took off when I gave it a twitch. I found my smallest Barra fly, which was a pretty big Gold Bomber fly and threw that on my 8 wt. Second cast it got smacked but only held on for one jump. The school took off, so I went for a walk up the bank to see if they'd reform. After ten minutes they were back, so I grabed my bass rod and threw out a Skitter Pop. First cast, another hook-up but it jumped off too. I'd wasted over an hour on these babies, so I went looking for more bays with bigger fish. At about 2.45 I got salmmed by a Barra in the 85 to 95cm range which took a huge jump and ran hard for the trees. I straightened the hooks trying to stop him. Just on dark I had another good strike, but no hook up. I fished through to about 12.30am for nothing, so rolled out the swag and had a few hours sleep. Back up at 4.30am, and and into it again. There was a bit of action at about 9.30 which coincided with the lunar projections. I put a cast into some trees and had a big boof on splashdown, I didn't feel any weight, so changed colours and threw the lure back to the same spot. Second cast, I got hit again, and this time had a hook-up for about 3 metres on line and half a second. This made 5 dropped barra, and none boated. I pulled the boat out of the water at 12.30pm on Thursday, and drove home in time for a feed and some sleep. Next morning I was up at 1.30am and after picking up a mate, drove the 150km down to Brunswick Heads in NSW. We met up with Mark (Mono) Stewart for a days fishing on his Charter Boat. 24 hours after being blown away by Barra, I was being blown away by Wahoo. I dropped four from four hook ups, with other hoo biting me off at the swivel. We did a bit of bottom bashing with Livies, and my first drop saw me substantially blown away by was was suspected to be a big Amberjack. Next two drops saw two Kingies of 87 and 96cm's take my Yakkas 300' down. We then trolled some lures around for a few little Yellowfin Tuna and Mac Tuna. Then the drive bakc home for a good nights sleep. My arms still hurt, but I'm already planing my next trip to Monduran before the weather cools off. A few friends fished there after I'd left and all up boated 9 Barra the following day. I hope I'm over the dropsies, 'cause I've got my heart set on breaking the Bass record at Wivenhoe tomorrow.

HOws this for trees at Monduran!!!! There's bloody acres of them!

post-250-1111911702_thumb.jpg

Guest Jocool

Shame about all the dropped fish mate! Better luck on the Wivenhoe. Looks like pulling a Barra from that mess of timber would be a lot of hard work and burnt skin as you thumbed the spool. Especially on a 95 cm model! :1naughty: