First Crab Off Wharf

mehmoh

Hey Guys, This is my first report.

So Friday went fishing at around 5pm with my dad (his first time). Weather looked a bit dull but there was a bit of sun. We were at a wharf just west of the bridge. Threw the handline in for a couple of bait fish and got a couple of yakkas. I used a bit of the fillet on my main fishing rod and threw it into the water. Sneaky bird stole my bait fish as I was doing this.

Then on the horizon I saw a boat headed towards us, it was a ferry off to unload some people. I thought I had a couple of minutes before they reached us however they got near us within 30 secs. Quickly grabbed my line and started reeling it as fast as I could, didnt want the ferry to cut my line. I was on light tackle and i thought my line was stuck on rocks or something because it wouldnt budge.

The ferry is now a couple of meters from my line and Im thinking "oh crap!" but then the line gets lose and I start reeling. For a sec I think Im pulling up a log or something thats floating in the water....was very embarrassed as a boat load of people were watching me. But then one of the crew on the boat screams out "oh thats a massive crab!". I was completely shocked, didnt know you could get those around this area.

I had no net but was able to lift it onto the wharf. It was hooked on the mouth and there was no way I was going to remove the hook so I cut the line. The blue swimmer measured 13cm from the back to the front, was male, length of body was bout 20cm and including the claws it would have been about 60 cms. I don't think Ive even seen ones this big in the shops.

Hopefully the picture loads fine... :thumbup:

Straight after it rained and we went home... not bad for 1/2 hr fishing, my dads now looking at buying some gear and going again real soon.

post-10537-1247492015_thumb.jpg

You RIPPER!

Hope you enjoy it, fresh blue swimmer tastes so sweeeeet. :beersmile:

I had the pleasure of eating a freshly caught one afew years ago caught by accident and I can still remember how sweet and firm the meat was.

ONYA Mehmoh!

Stonka crab - look up Charmaine Solomon's "Complete Asian Cookbook" Best ever recipe for Singapore Chilli Crab!!!!

Greta catch, greeat first post :1welcomeani: to the forum buddy, look forward to hearing about your next catch... and what you thought of the recipe!!

Cheers

Chris

nice looking blue swimmer there.. thats a good sign of the harbour water quality (i figure u mean sydney harbour bridge).

. fishing gets sooo contagious when u see people catching some quality fish/crabs etc.

welcome to fishraider

HK

Cracker Bluey mate.

How much of a buzz is it to get a nice crab on a rod n reel... :1fishing1:

Not usualy heard of but what a fine catch

Make perfect meal mate, just add Chilli and some herbs- instant Chilli-Blue-Swimmer-Crab (aussie style).

YUMMO!!!!!