My Great Idea- Cronulla Beach Shore Fishing

archilles2

Hi All,

I'm considering the possibility of fishing Cronulla beach consistently with a friend on a weekly basis. Lately, i've been all over Sydney and can't help but feel as if i'm learning nothing.

My plan is to hit the beach at 6am to 3pm on a Saturday every week. I know it's somewhat harder to target certain species during the day, however i want to give it a shot.

I'll have 3 - 12 ft rods out, each with a different bait ( 2 baitrunners and an large surf alvey ).

I'm hoping to catch anything from a Great white to jewwies, salmon or tailor.

In addition to this i want to space out 6 breaming rods using lighter gear and baited with nippers, worms, pillies and prawns. That way as i wait to get a hit on the bigger rods i can have some fun ( or not ) with the lighter gear and target the smaller fishies ( bream , whiting , flatties , etc ). Also, I plan to spread out 2 onion burley bags using the Colonel's secret herbs and spices..

The reason i want to do this is so i can start to educate myself, to learn how tides, wind, structure, water, gutters , perform each time i go out. Essentially, i want to find a good combo that increases the probility of catching fish as opposed to pot luck spots. Cronulla beach is close to me, and i think it has good potential.

Anyone have any thoughts ? or is my great idea a bad idea ?

P.S. I don't think i'll be catching great whites :risata:

Edited by archilles2

mate the 3 12 foot rods are a good idea, but i think you will be busy enough with one bream rod. If there is whiting in the water you would want to be workig the bait slowly over the gutter. The slow movement of the bait tends to attract the whiting. The key is is to cast the bait to far bank of the gutter and slowly retrieve it over the gutter. If the whiting are there they will hit the bait.

I find that if i am doing the 12 foot and bream rod on the beach i end up concentrating on using one of them.

Edited by tumra

thanks Tamra, i didn't know you had to work bait for whiting - good tip :)

Mate you will still get hits if you leave it there, but you will get alot more hits and better coverage is you move it along the gutter. I just pull the rod back slowly to drag the line and then reel in the slack. Doesnt need much.

Good luck.

G'day archilles

Suggestion only.

To start with, try using one rod only. Nothing more pleasent and relaxing than walking up and down a beach with your fingers on the pulse (Line).

You will remain focased on that and not be distacted by other rods and having to run up and down the beach like a blue arsed fly and potentialy achieving nothing.

Try not to just pick a time of day for the sake of it, but pick a time of day that reflects the beaches working structure and how the tide affects it. Ie gutters sand banks etc, thats what its all about. But to add yes, Morn and Late Arvo are good, just pick your tides to the beaches current structure. I say current, because beaches are dynamic and constantly changing as you will find out.

Good luck buddy there are some really good whiting off there and heed Tumra's advice, it is spot on.

Regards

Trapper Tom

And maybe look further up around Wanda to Green Hills... less crowded and a lot more room to move around from gutter to gutter. Nothing wrong with Cronulla itself, of course, but the Wanda stretch always draws me.

Good luck.

Baz

I have to back that up about fishing for whiting , best to slowly retrieve the bait, as it covers more ground, plus the whiting seem to get hooked more frequently during the chase.

I've never been beach fishing, but it works really well in the estuaries.

I think max of 3 rods is plenty for one person to handle, especially when targeting fish like bream and whiting... You will be running left and right retreiving and rebaiting...

Thanks for your input raiders , if i have a mate it's usually manageable however on my own things do get busy. That aside, i love being busy sometimes when it's quiet i don't mind baiting and re casting , things don't get boring - however i find usually when i'm baiting or casting , something gets a hit , it's as if baiting and casting is a good luck thing lol

Jewgaffer recommended wanda too, thanks guys :) Has anyone had good experiences at wanda or cronulla beach ? Feel free to share , there doesn't seem to be much the net :mad3:

I haven't fished Wanda for quite some time but I used to have considerable success with whiting and tailor. and the odd bream and flathead.

Baz