Salmon @ Swansea 17/7

Catchin Jack

Hey guys,

Went out to get bread this morning for the family at 5am and got kinda detoured via Swansea.

Got there just as light was trying to get through the clouds and rain and joined a couple of old locals at the breakwall at the entrance to Swansea channel, one of the old blokes called out "the salmon school are here" and the spinners went flying into the water, the school of salmon coming out of the channel was HUGE, just a big black mass with a few breaking water.

Well the fish took the spinners and our rods bent and reels wizzzed and the fun began. This action only lasted approx 15min but each person got at least two each, they were decent size also.

Photo to come once i warm up and do the chores around the house haha.

Decided to keep one and try cooking it......any ideas of best way to cook the salmon besides smoking them??

heard sambos are bad eating fish. Bait for sharks or salt them up for cooking. i have no idea really :)

Here's a photo of one i caught, was raining and only had camera on phone.

64cm and 2.54kg

Another guy got one quite a bit bigger than mine.

post-10101-1247785513_thumb.jpg

heard sambos are bad eating fish. Bait for sharks or salt them up for cooking. i have no idea really :)

bleed it imediately as it looks like you have done, then fillet, de bone and cut out the blood lines and cook it in a pasta sauce. really really nice.

give it a go and make up your own mind about taste mate.

they cooked them up on a fishing show the other day. fish cakes with loads of seasoning. i would just use it for bait personally.

Ive said it once, i'll say it again.. one of the funnest fish to catch :1prop:

HK

Bloody great fun to catch, good fight in them especially on light tackle.

Well i've filleted and skinned the fish, deboned, now just going to leave it to my wife to create something with them, thanks for the ideas on cooking them, i'll make sure she has a read of posts.

Cheers,

Leo

NICE Sambo's Leo!

I do same:

Fillet them and cut the blood lines

coat them in a mix of fresh herbs and flour (chilli, basil, oregano nd garlic)

bung it into the fry pan on med heat until cooked all the way through

YUMMO!- make good fish sandwiches with mayo, lettuce and onion.

Just add Beer for extra flavour to wash down.

great tasting fish- some would disagree but I think Sambos are seriously under-rated as table fish- i like em better than Tuna and other pelagics cause they arent too oily.

Hi Fezza,

Nice fish. Well done.

I've tried cooking salmon a number of times and gave it away until I realised that you need to skin and de bone the meaty fillets first.

Fried up in egg and breadcrumbs they turn out fine. (I throw some weet bix in the blender for the crumbs). For a more interesting meal try this. It's sensational!

Bengal Fish Curry using skinned fillets of Aussie Salmon

500gms fish fillets

1 tsp salt

2 tsp ground turmeric

4 dried red chillies

1 tsp chopped fresh ginger

1 cup yoghurt, beaten until smooth

2 tble sp ghee or oil

2 bay leaves

1 onion thinly sliced

4 fresh green chillies split lengthwise

1 tsp garam masala

2 tble sp fresh coriander leaves

Cut fish into large pieces and rub with salt and turmeric. Soak dried chillies in a little very hot water for a few minutes and put into the blender with the ginger and yoghurt. Pour this marinade over the fish and mix to ensure it's all covered.

Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the bay leaves, onion and fresh chillies and fry till the onion turns golden brown.

Add the fish and the marinade and sprinkle with garam masala.

Cover and cook gently for ten minutes or till ready, sprinkle with coriander leaves and serve with rice.

Koalaboi.

Hey guys,

.....water, the school of salmon coming out of the channel was HUGE, just a big black mass with a few breaking water.

........Decided to keep one and try cooking it......any ideas of best way to cook the salmon besides smoking them??

Salmon

Category > Salmon Kiev

Sub Category > Candlelight Dinner For Two

1. Make a batter ball coated in vintage parmisan cheese....

2. Quick fry in peanut oil...

3. Cut up Salmon ......add 1/2 cup of molasses ....4 cloves of crushed garlic in 1/2 cup 0f Vanilla essence....6 crushed Mexican Jalopinos

4. Boil all ingredients in goats milk.....

5. Stuff the batter ball

6. Fast fry batter ball keeping Salmon sealed in.....

7. Pour on rest of goat milk (gravy) (optional) & serve

Eating options:

(a)long nose pliers,

(b)multi grips

© chop sticks

post-829-1247898286_thumb.jpg

:biggrin2:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: