Soft Plastics

hamerz84

hi guys i was out fishing on the weekend just outside of south head in the harbour. we were ctaching mowies and small snapper on pilchards using a patanosta rig.

i had my soft plastics with so i decided to throw i 5inch jerk shad on the bottom hook and i managed to catch a keeper snapper (37cm) purely by fluke,

now my question is how do you actually fish using soft plastics in deeper water ? we were in about 70ft of water.

i didnt have any jigs heads with me so i couldnt try the traditional way would that have worked ?

or is there a special technique for soft plastics in deeper water ?

cheers hamerz.

I've seen on a couple of NZ sites what they call cyclops heads for SP's. These are round leadheads with metal loops that you attach to an SP using a split ring and worm hook. The sizes are from 2 to 4 ounces which is roughly 50 to 100 grams. They reckon that that these are the go for deep water use.

I'm going to source some and give them a try.

Cheers

Rob

Hey Hamerz

Iceman nailed it for a simple rig for you.

Have done it myself and works quite effectively.

Oh, and also don't ever forget if drifting for Flatties to have one out.

Not only will you get your target Flatties but many other species as well.

Cheers

Trapper T

Hey Hamerz

Iceman nailed it for a simple rig for you.

Have done it myself and works quite effectively.

Oh, and also don't ever forget if drifting for Flatties to have one out.

Not only will you get your target Flatties but many other species as well.

Cheers

Trapper T

yeh thanks mate when drifting though do u put em on a patanosta or jig head ?

cheers.

The way you caught the reddie is the way to do it but put SPs on both hooks on the paternoster rig stick the rod in a rod holder and let the motion of the boat work the SPs for you then you can work another rod with bait

thanks heaps mate it sounds pretty logical really lol.

cheers.

I've seen on a couple of NZ sites what they call cyclops heads for SP's. These are round leadheads with metal loops that you attach to an SP using a split ring and worm hook. The sizes are from 2 to 4 ounces which is roughly 50 to 100 grams. They reckon that that these are the go for deep water use.

I'm going to source some and give them a try.

Cheers

Rob

sounds good mate let us no how u go with em and let us no if its easy to find em, i'll have a sticky beak aswell and see wat i come up with.

cheers.