Lake Lyel

bog6on

G'day all, i am looking at going out to the lake for a fshing trip and was wondering what sort of tackle will be good to use. I have not had a serious fish in fresh water so i am trying to get a few tips on who, what, where, when, how, and why. I will not be using a fly if that helps.

Any help will be greatly appreciatd.

Luke.

Gday,

Have not been up there myself in the last month or so but my mate was there last week and got 3 nice rainbows on the downrigger.

Seems as thought they were all holding down deep.

Not a touch on the surface at all.

Good luck with it.

Tough time of year really at Lyall (in fact, I find winter Trouting tough despite the continual media hype about Trout and cold weather), all though with the warmish weather at the moment there might be an early hatch of some description that will bring the Trout up to the surface.

There might be some Browns returning from spawning now and they can be seen cruising shallows looking to feed up. Small plastics and minnows cast well in front of them will work. Otherwise running a tandem powerbait/worm bait rig may well be the best approach. The Rainbows should be looking to spawning now so they will be hard to come by, downrigging if in a boat may find schools feeding especially up towards the Coxs River mouth. If shorebased, try and find areas as close to the Coxs River mouth as possible, or maybe Farmers Creek, this time of year Trout are coming and going from spawning and it to maximise your chances stay close to the inflowing rivers and creeks.

As for tackle, light spinning gear is the ticket. Standard Bream stuff mainly with perhaps a slightly heavier outfit for trolling. The light gear covers both bait and spinning, mainlines around 4lb and leaders ranging from 2lb - 6lb depending on where and how I am fishing.

Hope this gets you in the right track :thumbup:

Windy