Bottom Bashing Browns Sunday 9th August

mangonui

Went to Browns this morning and picked more gemmies,

The last 3 trips this week have been the same.

They are plagueing out there at the moment and we cant keep baits down long enough for the blue eye,

Our trip came to a dissapointing end when my electric reel started smoking and seized :thumbdown:

Hi Mangonui

Same thing happened to to my electric reel 1 month ago at Browns. It was on the first drop and the rod was doubled over and after 20-30 mins of the reel winching this fish in from >1700 ft, the motor burnt out :1badmood: . We were only two thirds of the way up and so we started hand lining it in. It was hard work and diificult to maintain the tension with braid(we had to wear gloves) but 30ft from the boat the fish broke off and we were gutted :mad3: . My reel was a second hand Miya Epoch 700, it does not have a handle to wind the reel.What brand reel was yours? I am thinking of getting a new Daiwa Tanacom Bull TB 1000. There is another model which is a Daiwa Tanacom Bull 1000Fe.Any one know the difference between the 2? Is the Tanacom Bull TB 1000 capable of handling the fish(gem and blue eye) and the depth at Browns without burning out the motors?

Regards Kit

Hi Mangonui

Same thing happened to to my electric reel 1 month ago at Browns. It was on the first drop and the rod was doubled over and after 20-30 mins of the reel winching this fish in from >1700 ft, the motor burnt out :1badmood: . We were only two thirds of the way up and so we started hand lining it in. It was hard work and diificult to maintain the tension with braid(we had to wear gloves) but 30ft from the boat the fish broke off and we were gutted :mad3: . My reel was a second hand Miya Epoch 700, it does not have a handle to wind the reel.What brand reel was yours? I am thinking of getting a new Daiwa Tanacom Bull TB 1000. There is another model which is a Daiwa Tanacom Bull 1000Fe.Any one know the difference between the 2? Is the Tanacom Bull TB 1000 capable of handling the fish(gem and blue eye) and the depth at Browns without burning out the motors?

Regards Kit

I cant believe it that is the same model as mine!

It worked fine till yesterday,did you look at getting the motor replaced,Im a bit apprehensive about spending over a thousand dollars on someting thats going to do the same thing.

Manganui

Fancy that, the same reel. I got mine on the net when the Aussie dollar was at 92c to the USD, and it cost me ~$350 delivered. So it is not worth repairing, its only use now might be as a sinker(it weighs a "tonne"!).Even though I have had it for more than a year, that was its first outing and the first drop! :1badmood:

I will buy a new reel with a winding handle to take some of the load off the motor.

Regards Kit

Edited by cruisecraft

mangonui /cruisecraft , that seems unusual for miya epoch reels , but i do think that model is a bit too small for deep drops like at browns ,20 to 30 mins to bring the line in is pretty long ,

i use the miya epoch x8s and it's perfect , heaps stronger than the tenacom bull 1000 , had them side by side and the miya epoch x8s kills it for strength in my opinion , although the x8s are more expensive aswell , as they say you only get what you pay for , i just ordered another one so i have one on each corner on my boat , love em!

Joe.

Edited by Gameplay

Thanks for the advice mate i might look into that model as well i would rather spend more on something that will last in the long run,although i would have thought the 700 miya epoch would be more than powerful enough considering the amount of line holds?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Tanacom Bull 1000.

unfortunately I didnt had too many chances to use it, went to Browns only 5 times with the electric. I can tell you that it works very well and even when fully loaded it not even get warm. :thumbup:

Vladimir