Fly Reels Any Good For Blackies?

kizzor95

G'day Raiders,

First time poster long time reader...

Gunna keep the first post nice and simple,

Are fly fishing reels and good for targetting Blackfish/Luderick?

I've been setting up a rod and was close to buying an Alvey 475B reel, but my Grandfather has givin me his old fly reels (which have been look after really well).

They are pretty much in the 7 to 8 pound range, and to me look like they'd work but i've had no experince with Fly gear in my life.

So what should i do, buy the Alvey and frame the Fly reels as antics or give the reels a go??

cheers for your thoughts

Keiron.

Hey mate,

I was thinking about taking the same path as I have seen a few use them and I love the look of fly reels, but my worry was the casting ability compared to an alvey. I also do a lot of my blackfishing off the rocks where as stated before it could be a worry with the salt water affecting the reel. I went for the 475b and am more then impressed with the quality and its a reel that your not afraid to get wet and banged around as its tough as nails. I have had my alvey soaked constantly over a days worth of fishing off the rocks, and with a wipe over at the end of the day still runs like brand new.

Also I'm not sure about you but if I had some of my grandfathers gear I wouldn't take the risk of it getting destroyed and loosing something of sentimental value.

Hope this bit of information helps.

G'day Keiron,

I think one of the issues will be the size of the reels. Fly reels are small and recovering line quickly is a pain. Because you're usually doing so much winding in and letting out line when blackie fishing, I reckon a fly reel would drive you nuts. Get a bigger diameter reel like an Alvey 475 or something.

Cheers, Slinky

Fly reels and Blackfish reels are essentially centrepins, fly reels have a very deep spool the more modern ones have a larger arbou rfor quick line recovery. Blackfish reels generally have a large arbour for line recovery and control over the float, and have a ratchet system that can be dis engaged unlike fly reels which are generally fixed and have an anti reverse, fly reels with a large arbour can be used but casting off the spool is near impossible, whereas a free running reel like the alvey this can be acheived, the best cenrepins used for blackfishe were made in the UK and include the Grice and Young stalble (Avon Royal, Golden Eagle, Avon Crown and Gypsy D'or) or better still J W Young who had the Rapidex, Trudex and Seldex they also made the Aerial style reels and still make a modern version.

I'd go wit the alvey personally you will get a better feel for things, personally I own close to 20 different vintage and modern blackie reels so yes you could say I know a thing or two, check this site out on vintage reels it will help you differentiate between a fly reel and a centrepin, http://www.vintagetackle.net/

enjoy LA

hey kizzor welcome to the site mate good to have yah neways if you look back through some of my posts i am a big advocate of alvey reels theyre simple tough virtually unbreakable and theyll stop big groper jews and anything else theyre trusted with hell my old man has used em for kings.....however as far as fishing for blackfish goes depending on the rod a good quality fly reel will do the job for example i have a mag blackfish its a snyder glas rods and is a 10' model in a step down from a 4wrap but does the job excellent on blackfish..however i personally am looking at matching it up with a shimano biocraft as this will be incredible as its really light weight has a relatively reasonable drag system and when looked after with inox it is a go to saltwater fly reel for many of my mates that fish for kings and tuna on fly(mildly insane i know..granted that with the 1:1 retrieve you may have aa lil more time but the feel and the control of super light blackfish r0ods willbe awesome...however and there is always a hopwever if you step up to something like a 4w or a traditional glass luderick rod for the rocks gthe alvey with that little extra weight will help with balance and is probably a better option ....this is only kmy oppinion and the beauty of fishing iws regardless of your oppinion anyone can catch pretty much any different fish soo many different ways so in the end what are you comfortable with

Cheers for the advice guys,

Decided on the old Alvey 475B reel.

when i thought it thou there no way i could have use the old fly fishing reels they look to old and in to good a condition!!

I've decide to store them and do some research into them and see what type of info i can get about them!

Again thanks for you thoughts and will keep you posted...

Cheers for the advice guys,

Decided on the old Alvey 475B reel.

when i thought it thou there no way i could have use the old fly fishing reels they look to old and in to good a condition!!

I've decide to store them and do some research into them and see what type of info i can get about them!

Again thanks for you thoughts and will keep you posted...

As a first blackie reel hard to beat very tough and based on the original english idea of a centrepin though not technically one as the pint of te spindle does not float on an end grub screw and the spool held in place by a spring latch, but still a very free runner you can't go wrong and ideal in saltwater my first Avon is now a salt anodised mess in a cupboard :wacko:

As for your fly reels gives us a few picks and i'm sure someone on the site can identify them, i would be keen to have a look do they have any hallmarks makers names etc?

Cheers

Royce.