Lowrance Hds Sounders

punchn2

hi all. does anyone out there have any real world experience using a lowrance hds sounder in deep water applications, ex do they mark bait in 200fthms, or identify bottom structure on canyons when bottom fishing, do they get a clear bottom reading at trolling speeds in 100 fthms etc etc..... cheers

Hi mate

I've got one and can verify that it shows a tidy picture of structure out at Browns (380m to 600m). Mine only works well at these sort of depths at speeds of 5 knots or less (in deep water mode) but this could be operator error or an issue with my hull (marlin bb cat) or transducer location... I've only had it out in the deep water for three expeditions so far. Shallower water, it works perfectly up to cruising speed with a higher quality picture. Overall I'm a big fan.

Cheers

Hi mate

I've got one and can verify that it shows a tidy picture of structure out at Browns (380m to 600m). Mine only works well at these sort of depths at speeds of 5 knots or less (in deep water mode) but this could be operator error or an issue with my hull (marlin bb cat) or transducer location... I've only had it out in the deep water for three expeditions so far. Shallower water, it works perfectly up to cruising speed with a higher quality picture. Overall I'm a big fan.

Cheers

Cheers for that im trying to decide whether to get the lowrance HDS or the furuno 585 both with the 1KW transducer

Hi, just a note-only the larger HDS units take the 1Kw and then only as thru hull or "wet box" design. No transom mount version available in that size.

Both brands have the upgraded transducer but they are not cheap.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi, just a note-only the larger HDS units take the 1Kw and then only as thru hull or "wet box" design. No transom mount version available in that size.

Both brands have the upgraded transducer but they are not cheap.

Cheers,

Huey.

That is correct but the furuno transducer which is an airmar is exactly the same as the transducer that lowrance use, so you buy the furuno transom mount transducer and have the plug changed to suit the lowrance.

That is correct but the furuno transducer which is an airmar is exactly the same as the transducer that lowrance use, so you buy the furuno transom mount transducer and have the plug changed to suit the lowrance.

Yeah I guess you could do that, but cutting the transducer lead and then splicing on the Lowrance plug will most likely cause problems and on an expensive transducer that is a big call. Also have Lowrance confirmed this will work because with the in built digital hardware on the HDS I would be surprised, but i could be wrong.

Cheers,

Huey.

Huey is of course right, you can not cut the transducer cable. you may be able to get adapters but cutting through the cables shield wil render it useless.

Huey is of course right, you can not cut the transducer cable. you may be able to get adapters but cutting through the cables shield wil render it useless.

Hmmm funny how my airmar NKP CTP253 1kw transducer was lengthened by 11m after the cable was cut a foot from the transducer by TMQ electronics very successfully but obviously that cant be done by your way of thinking and expertise.... Also a plug changeover costs $40 and has been done successfully on half a dozen transducers for lowrance units that i know of, HDS units havent been done as yet im still waiting for conformation from lowrance.

Yeah the shield on an elecrtrical cable is only to help stop electrical noise from other power sources entering the cable and being transferred up the cable and in to the electronics which can cause malfunctions etc... a transducer cable or just about any cable can be cut and joined if u know what ur doing but obviously doing so will void warranty.....wont be long and the transducer will ring ur mobile to tell u the marlin have

arrived!! :1prop:

Hmmm funny how my airmar NKP CTP253 1kw transducer was lengthened by 11m after the cable was cut a foot from the transducer by TMQ electronics very successfully but obviously that cant be done by your way of thinking and expertise.... Also a plug changeover costs $40 and has been done successfully on half a dozen transducers for lowrance units that i know of, HDS units havent been done as yet im still waiting for conformation from lowrance.

The fact that yours has been cut and joined means little, i doubt any supplier will agree with cutting the transducer cable? There is many factors that affect cable joins/splicers and the most elaborate splicing will still create problems, maybe immediately, maybe later or affect signal (IE the data). further more if the newer digital sounders are sending true digital signal down the cable there is other issues.

You are much more likely to have long term success re terminating a plug on the end or using an adapter, but once again for folks reading this, modifying your cable in any way will almost certainly void your warranty.

Edited by achjimmy

Hi, I wish you all the best with your adaptation of a $900 odd transducer, but I know I would not be doing it, but as I say to people all the time, it is your money and your transducer so again best of luck.

Cheers,

Huey.

I have just removed my Raymarine units and 1kw transducer to install the new HDS 8 units and also installed a new Airmar B260 1kw transducer. Yes you can cut and re-use transducers as a cheap fix but to be honest I agree with other posts and no way would i do it for any units. Also the B in the B260 lowrance transducer stands for Broadband, i figure without the correct transducer you may be selling yourself short?

In regards to your question about capabalitiles they will read the bottom, mark fish and bait as well as or even better than the other popular brands, 500 fathoms will not bother the HDS at all.

This is based on experience.

Andrew