What To Look For In Regards To Where Fish Are Holding

jewgaffer

Hi Raiders I have a bit of time on my hands and I'm afraid this is going to be a fairly lengthy post just to provide some detailed information of what to look for to get better results rather than just fishing away in general fishing somewhere deep, somewhere shallow or somewhere in between, and particularly for those who try to do a little bit better whenever they do a session in a bay or an estuary......

I haven't been able to go out for a fish at all this winter myself due to finally having a back operation after being involved in a boat collision as a passenger in Ballina where I was recuperating from a previous major back operation whilst still healing from the associated bone entry...

As some of you would know, I still haven't recovered properly at this stage but I'm working on getting out in my boat with a little help from a friend here and there in the very near future when my main boat has been fully set up with an electric motor so as to keep up with the times and get back into general estuary fishing for a few take homes before concentrating on having a jewfish session..... The Georges and the Hacking would be a mid afternoon for the bait and the bi catch and would ,mainly involve fishing on into the night for the main jewfish part of a session..... Whereas it has generally always fished better for me over the course of a full day session in the Hawkesbury where we would also be fishing a jewfish rod behind the spots where we'd chose to use an electric motor until darkness sets in, before moving and fishing in jewfish territory.......

I receive regular feed back with regards to what's been happening in Botany Bay Bay and the Georges and the fact there are still a lot of fish scattered around in good numbers right now that generally leave well before winter sets in..... Some of our members who have been keen enough to go out fishing and are prepared to spend a fair bit of time out there and also some keen new members, who are relatively new to fishing, are not doing as well as they could at the moment.

I decided to type a topic today offering some food for thought for those members who haven't been doing as well as other fishermen have and also for those who may be interested in fishing Botany Bay and the Georges in a more productive manner than they have elsewhere and particularly where others are catching good fish in general lately as was the case with my contacts throughout most of June and July despite the cold conditions, and Botany Bay and the Georges area fished extremely well in Summer and Autumn this year.... Interested readers will also be able to apply the same principles when fishing other inshore areas....

Rather than having performing spots here and there pointed out over a period of time or following other boats, it's more productive in the long run and more satisfying finding your own spots by getting to know the type of water you should be looking for.......

When fishing a new area, having some knowlege of where fish are likely to be and even on a casual basis on the particular day can make all the difference as to whether you catch fish or fish in mainstream spots during the day and catch very little if any at all.....

In conjunction with getting to know how to read the water, you can always use a sounder wherever you can to find out where the bulk of the species or fish in general are holding before livening them up with burley and keeping them on the bite for as long as you can by having a continual slow seepage of fine bottom burley coming out of a weighted nylon washing bag that you can buy cheap in singles in most stores or by having a burley container mounted off the stern in order to have a consistent trail of floating burley mixed with some sand weighted burley to dissipate down deeper in order to attract the fish into the area and towards the source of the burley...... This can be behind a chosen point on the shoreline or on the inside of a point etc where the burley trail stops and not out in the open in a current where the bulk of the burley would run too far away from the boat or if you happen to be fishing landbased drift too far away from where you are fishing the main burley ingredient at the time.....

With boat fishing and according to the nature of the bottom, you need to find places where more fish than are showing on a sounder are likely to come on the bite on a day that you have found to be quiet, after spending sufficient time perhaps in known spots such as casting out from behind the suspended green marker at Molineux in Botany Bay or even in the shallows along Towra or Brighton where the general run of species you would expect to find along those stretches in were either not there or not active and only passing thru with the tide having fed earlier or while moving on to feed later somewhere else on the day......

It's a good idea to make a note of the best feeding tides for each species in places such as up against standout contours you see on your sounder or on the up current side of above water and below water structure of just about any type such as moored boats or pylons etc or wrecks near the mouth of an opening such as Sailor's Bay on the north side or the two scuttled ships on the Hawkesbury river near Milson Island or the one near the front of the ferry wharf at Wobby....Occasionally try the opposite side, the down current side of above or below water structure but don't settle in on that side, fish heavier on each side of pylons if you feel the need to try the down current side ........

Anyway back to fishing pylons for a moment, if you were to anchor in between the two spans of sayTom Ugly's Bridge or between the main pylons and the isolated pylons at the Hawkesbury Rail Bridge for example, you get full eddy and against a half current by fishing towards both pylons using a well enough weighted hands on rod rod that has to be continually pulled in and recast back against the current before the line goes under the boat .....

Look at what the water is doing around specific points and especially private jetties which border on shallow water on one side and deep water on the other side in order to give you the best of both worlds by fishing on each side of deep and shallow water on shore structure....

If you're fishing closer to the mouth of the Bay or even between Box Hd and Little Box Hd on the Hawkesbury, it pays to always check out the foam areas at some time or other where the water washes back and also find spots where waves and swell loop back higher than the swell in the nearby area.... This indicates depth where fish can hold in easily under the pull of the surface to the mid water and these are handy spots to know when the shallow water isn't fishing well at the time.....

Areas that hold fish in general would be particularly headlands and points near the mouth etc or similiar close in cliff runs where the swell kicks back...... The same type of water can be located upriver in deep or shallow points and above structure in windy conditions and you should note these spots on the way back for next time.... It's always best to look for these types of situations which include gutters etc in calm conditions near the mouth of an estuary and also off a beach either in the surf or by looking at the water coming in against the rocks on a calm day before fishing into the same permanent half rock, half sand gutter or erosion hole situation or chosing where there is a heavy foam situation and particularly when fishing at night....

So as to get to know hot spots that may not be easy to find next time your out in a boat and during the night, it would be best to store those hot spots on a GPS.....

The advantage of owning a sounder is being able to find noticable contours and holes where they occur after storms, big seas and turbulence etc and also permanent holes in normally deserted middle grounds as far as food for fish down the pecking order is concerned, rather than drifting in the main channel hoping to get the odd fish passing thru and spending too much time fishing in what might be more of a thorough fare than a feeding zone for predators and more of a reasonably safe place for small fish to be in the day time.....

It's better to find narrow, shorter channels or feeder channels which run off main channels such as channels that drop into pools, ponds or holes and then dissipate away to the shoreline or a dead ends that show obvious contours, high weed bed growth or sand, gravel and also hard structure showing on your sounder if you are not familiar with fishing in a particular area....

Main channels are generally places where fish pass thru with the tide and fish much better at night than during the day, particularly a main chanel in a narrow part of an entrance to a waterway or an off shoot upriver during the periods each side of either tide at night for example .... Whereas feeding predatosr go in behind where the bulk of fish are holding, and wait for smaller fish etc to come out with the tide, after those feed in the flats and shallows etc during the run in tide and particulary along ledges and shelves held together by weed growth or provide cover where small fish and baitfish would be forced to go out before the tide bottoms out...

Hope this information is of some help and I wish those who go fishing over the weekend a very successful result and particularly a couple of members who have contacted me lately to ask my opinion on fishing the Botany Bay/Georges area......

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Bloody hell Byron!

There is more content in that post than in a fishing magazine!!

I think you are using up too much of our global space & are costing me a fortune! :074::074:

Seriously though, some great tips & advice there mate. Thanks for the input. :thumbup:

Cheers,

Grant.

Thanks Byron for that very informative post.......i've been fishing since i was a child on and off so i still consider myself a novice in this department. But with your words of wisdom, you've given me some direction.

Cheers mate,

Robert