Blackfish Weed Whats Its Real Name And Where Do You Find It

mark10187

Hey all,

Just want to know whats the weed that you catch blackfish on and where do you usually find it besides buying it at a bait shop as every time i go around the rocks i can never seem to find it

WOOHOOO 50 posts lol

Cheers

Mark

Edited by bustoff

"Gathering bait

it is a cheap way of fishing when the bait you use is freely available along most rock platforms and ocean rock pools. It is also found in estuary systems and rivers but harder to find. There are 2 main types of weed, string/ribbon type and cabbage.string weed is most common in the river estuary systems but some ocean rock pools also have it. Cabbage type is easier to come by and is everywhere along the coastal rocks and beach headlands. When you harvest your weed be responsible and take only whats needed and if there is enough get some for burly..the weed generally dies off a lot through the colder winter months. It is best not to squeeze the water out but let excess water drain but if in a hurry a gentle squeeze is ok.lay weed in newspaperor hessian bag and fold / roll up and put in bag.you can keep it in bottom of the fridge for up to a week but fresh is always best."

all info taken from Roosterman's article shown HERE

"Gathering bait

it is a cheap way of fishing when the bait you use is freely available along most rock platforms and ocean rock pools. It is also found in estuary systems and rivers but harder to find. There are 2 main types of weed, string/ribbon type and cabbage.string weed is most common in the river estuary systems but some ocean rock pools also have it. Cabbage type is easier to come by and is everywhere along the coastal rocks and beach headlands. When you harvest your weed be responsible and take only whats needed and if there is enough get some for burly..the weed generally dies off a lot through the colder winter months. It is best not to squeeze the water out but let excess water drain but if in a hurry a gentle squeeze is ok.lay weed in newspaperor hessian bag and fold / roll up and put in bag.you can keep it in bottom of the fridge for up to a week but fresh is always best."

all info taken from Roosterman's article shown HERE

Hey,

Thanks for the info mate

........Mate, try some local canals or waterways on golf courses. You may be surprised.

...CHEERS ESKY

Esky see if you can bring around a couple of kilos, next Georges session we have, I reckon we should float fish back in close to catch a few some take home blackfish first off

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Look for little streams that flow from an estuary slightly inland, as mentioned some ponds hold a good supply as well. Google maps is a great tool to locate these type of things.

Some beaches (in the eastern suburbs) hold both cabbage and stringy weed at the end of the beach - this bait works well straight off the beach or in the harbour

I have been fortunate enough to have been shown the ropes from a mate (thanks royce aka luderick_angler) and I still feel like a novice

chasing places where weed grows can be like trying to work out where the fish are biting - it does take time but eventually you work it out

good luck and hope this helps

gav

I once had my boat almost sink on the mooring. The self drainer was blocked and was letting in small amounts of water. I guess it was a slow fishing period and the boat wasn't getting used much. I received a call from a BSO from the MSB saying the boat is on its way down and I should get on the rig pronto and see I could fix her. The floor of the boat was under 2 inches of water, but the crazy thing was green weed had grown over the whole floor of the boat. I dont fish for blackies but I filled a black recycling tub with it and left it near a prominent black fishing spot.

It has always made me think if I filled a baby pool with salt water and left it in the sun could I farm my own weed?