Looks Good For Anyone Thinking Of Having A Day Into An Evening Session Today

jewgaffer

Hi Raiders

For anyone thinking of having a fish today, conditions look really good particularly for an early afternoon low tide start and fishing on into the evening ...The current direction has changed from south to north east pushing down a large belt of warm northerly water into the Sydney area...The wind has also changed from a southerly influence to an opposite north eastlerly aspect and the wind is easterly at the moment with the tide still running out.... The barometer reading has slowly risen overnight to 1025 milibars and still rising and it's rising a shade faster at this stage of the morning as I write .......The new water should be coming in with the rising tide this afternoon and low tide will be around 12.30PM in Botany Bay for example.... and around midday would be a good time to start to get the last of the run out and the stillwater before waiting on the fishing to liven up once the new water has started coming in fully...

I often look for change days after fishing has been quiet and I have been looking out for a really good day for fishing this week for quite a few days now.....

High tide should be around 7.30pm at CC bridge and it would be worthwhile starting off in the Bay and fishing on into the late evening from the last part of the run in tide and fishing the stillwater and the first few hours of the run out tide at the bridge until around 10.30pm or so

Anyway these are the conditions for today.....

Current Conditions as at 08:59:50

Sunny

Temperature: +16.8 °C

Humidity: 48 %

Barometer: 1025 hPa and Rising

Wind Speed: Calm

Maximum wind gust in last hour: 7.2 km/h

Wind Direction: 95° (East)

Peak Rainfall Rate: 0 mm/hour

Rainfall in last hour: 0 mm

Sunrise today was at 06:14:48

Sunset today will be at 17:37:27

I hope whoever goes out today catches a lot of fish and a jewfish or two this evening...

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

I wonder how many people are worried that when Jewgaffer's back improves he'll be too busy catching up on lost fishing time and not giving out so many tips?? I know I am!

Seriously though, it's great that you're sharing what you know so openly. I'd say there's a lot of people on here who are very grateful!

Cheers!

A.

Hey Byron,

now if I could find a volunteer to come out with me, I'd be in it like the proverbial rat up a drainpipe!

Really good info mate.

Any raiders following up Jewgaffers clues, let us know the results... so we can get jealous as!

Cheers

Chris

I made it out last night and Wednesday night. Unfortunately not in the boat due to :wife:

Fishing the local hacking spots landbased. Seems like the warm water didn't make it that far into the system because water temp still 16 degrees.

Happy to see the return of yakka schools. Caught plenty of fresh bait for salting and freezing. There was some surface action for a short period but no luck hooking up with the surface feeders.

Had Jew baits out well into the night but no touches. The water was crystal clear not sure if this had a negative impact on the Jew fishing.

From this website it doesn't look like the warm water stuck around for long ;(

http://www.mhl.nsw.gov.au/www/wave_temp.htmlx

Keep us posted Jewgaffer, more than happy to give it another shot to test the theories.

Edited by wttmrwolf

Fishing the local hacking spots landbased. Seems like the warm water didn't make it that far into the system because water temp still 16 degrees.

Happy to see the return of yakka schools. Caught plenty of fresh bait for salting and freezing. There was some surface action for a short period but no luck hooking up with the surface feeders.

Had Jew baits out well into the night but no touches. The water was crystal clear not sure if this had a negative impact on the Jew fishing.

From this website it doesn't look like the warm water stuck around for long ;(

http://www.mhl.nsw.gov.au/www/wave_temp.htmlx

Keep us posted Jewgaffer, more than happy to give it another shot to test the theories.

Hi Mr Wolf.....Ben Cungee George told me you looked for his van down at Walleys and introduced yourself and spoke with him for a fair while, anyway he reckons your're a good bloke and a very keen jewfish fisherman, modest and he said you are friendly asked him some intelligent questions :thumbup: .......

About fishing on Wednesday, there was mention of a massive area of warm currents heading for the Sydney coastal belt about a week ago and there was an article in the fishing section in either Sundays SMH or the Sunday Telegraph that was mainly devoted to this particularly current belt which was being pushed in a southerly direction from the north while we still had currents coming from the south down here...

It seemed it was due to reach Sydney on Wednesday......By coincidence I was keeping an eye out for Wednesday as it was going to be the first wind change day (Changing to a warmer NNE influence which pushes fish in too i.e. run in tide) .......and we were coming out of a southerly influence which lasted over several days (More cold upon cold) going off Seabreeze's 6 day wind forecast last Friday....

From my end I could see by Monday that the barometer would rise with the sudden conditions change and it did just that.......in that during Wednesday the barometer kept on rising from the morning to a good 1025 milibars a gain of over 5 points which was quite noticable in the air on Wednesday afternoon........ in fact 1025 milibars is the highest figure for September so far......Today Friday, the pressure has dropped back to 1015 milibars and that it a massive drop in only twenty four hours or so .......

So fishing on Wednesday particularly at night would have been a peak night with the conditions swing alone in my book........ and the north easterly would assist fish coming into say Botany Bay...If there was a better way to pick a day to go fishing it would certainly be worth knowing...........

Walley's wharf is middling ground, plain and unfancy into the left hand shoreline and also straight ahead where you cast........ the main channel is on the shiprock side where the water drops into 45 feet, straight ahead is the wide shallow run into Burraneer Bay where there is only 60cms of water in places and sometimes you have to lift your motor up to use that side to get into Burraneer..... the action is a boat job off the right hand side headland into Burraneer when you stand on the wharf.... everything half decent gets pulled in an out of shiprock marine park, so it's far better to fish the edges rather than fishing Walley's wharf and slipping head over turkey on a pile of sausage mince....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

JEW GAFFER MATE!!

YOUR A MACHINE...

ME AND A MATE FISHING SPOT X ALONG THE GEORGES...

First cast... Jewie

Second cast... Jewie

quiet for 10 minutes...

couple more...

Fished from 7pm until 1am...

Score: Mate - 11 Jewies - 8 Me - 0

Yeah knew it was too good to be true, I put the jinx on myself walking in talking about what jewgaffer said, me mate was like yeah yeah and that was the result... Biggest went 94cm smallest went 56cm...

Cheers

Ben

Wow Ben! Brilliant catch on the Jew front.

Thanks for the long response Jewgaffer. I knew is was a big compromise fishing wally Wed, Thur but options limited when :wife: didn't want me out on boat with sick kids.

Totally agree fishing perimeter of marine reserve leads to good chance of hookup. Only big creatures in last 2 months caught in that spot so you can garantee I'm listening ;)

Big pike on soft plastic and huge eagle ray on fresh yakka fillet.

It felt really fishy last night. Very still then wind picked up and started raining. Got the feeling the barometer was dropping so stuck around till about 2:30am. From you notes it sounds like the air pressure did in fact drop. Next time I'll have to get the boat out.

Interestingly the wind seemed to be NE when it came up around 1am so hopefully will help push those currents and fish our way (as you explained happens with NE wind).

funny you mention George. We had a funny chat on the wharf. I think we stayed until about 4:30am on school night. Did he tell you about the pilchards beaching themselves on the ramp?

Anyway plan is to use the fathers day excuse to go out Saturday morning (early present). In the boat by 3am. sound around for Jew then head out to the bay for a spot of snapper fishing. Can you PM if you have any hot snapper tips. Would love to leave the Baker on the bottom and catch snapper instead ;)

Happy days.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Ben

Great info there jewgaffer, really appreciate it when you do these informative posts :thumbup:

I have been thinking about your comments about fishing to the right side of wally's wharf by casting into the main channel but having a look on google maps and also in person, i think it would be quite hard to get a cast into there from a landbased position say on the rocky point just right of wally's wharf. I think the only chance would be via a boat which i am not fortunate enough to have access to.

I would have been out there on wednesday night if i didn't have a flu.

Great, generous information nonetheless. Thanks

Edited by monch