Iphone Navionics Plotter

slinkymalinky

I know this topic has been covered before but thought I'd add my 2c worth having now lived with the latest version of Navionics charts on my iPhone for a while.

The latest version that I downloaded, cost about $15 and covers the whole of Australia, the same as the Navionics Gold charts for plotters

I've checked and it plots me on the boat with the same accuracy as my Lowrance plotter. I have no idea of what datum it uses (there's no option to change it) but having entered known marks in WGS84 coordinates, it's spot on. Must either use WGS84 or GDA94 I guess.

The greatest use for it is to be able to sit anywhere and pop in waypoints to check out later on the water... I've done it with tips from tackle stores, marks in books, likely looking ground on the charts, Google Earth browsing... you name it.

It has the facility to take photos associated with GPS marks... like photographing your sounder screen or landmarks on a given mark... really handy.

I haven't done it yet, but of course I could pop in waypoints whenever I went fishing with someone else... a warning to all about revealing your secret spots to me... check that I don't have my phone with me :biggrin2:

The app, for anyone interested, is called 'Australia'

Cheers, Slinky

Another great app for the I-phone is called GPS tracker, The yanks use it as a security device and when activated it sends current location, course, speed etc back the website via a map where it can be logged in real time, most over there get a prepaid phone with an unlimited plan and leave it on permanently, personally I just use it for letting the kids know which part of the country I'm in at any given time when away with work. very good for quickly logging "secret spots" though.

As for the phone, honestly I consider mine to be a tool more than a phone as out of city reception is at best abysmal.

GT

There awesome, Till they go for a swim. :1badmood:

Mate, i dropped mine in the toilet and hung it out to dry, good as new!

If you do drop it in salt water, take it back to apple and theyll replace the phone for 250 dollars no questions. I bought the app when it was 80 dollars!!! very handy.

if you ever drop your phone in water (not salt) best way to fix it is to turn the phone off

and then put the phone into a bowl of uncooked rice for a few days

the rice will absorb the water out of the phone

if you drop the phone is salt water your pretty much screwed

Mate, i dropped mine in the toilet and hung it out to dry, good as new!

If you do drop it in salt water, take it back to apple and theyll replace the phone for 250 dollars no questions. I bought the app when it was 80 dollars!!! very handy.

never heard of that $250 replacement deal b4? were did u find that out?