Fish Advice

hookmeup

G'day all, been a while since last post,a friend of mine has built a dam in his property (roughly the size of a tennis court, & approx 6 mtrs deep) & wants to stock it with fish that is A: good fun to catch & B: good eating. What species can anyone recommend?

he has been advised either trout or perch? would these survive or do they need flowing water? any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance

This site should have all the answers NSW Fisheries. Haven't fished a dam before so can't give you any personal suggestions.

Be wary though that it is illegal to stock the dam with particular species, like carp.

Cheers

Rest assured, I do not thing 'hookmeup' was even thinking of CARP ....he did specify 'Good Eating' afterall :)

Good advice regardless!!

My brother-in-law has a property near Hervey Bay in Qld. He has a dam a bit bigger in size but not quite that deep. He stocked it with yellowbelly. We quite often catch them out of there. Good fun to catch on lures and fly. We decided to eat one that we caught and even though the water in the dam is pretty clear it still had a muddy taste to it. Good sport though.

Howard

My brother-in-law has a property near Hervey Bay in Qld. He has a dam a bit bigger in size but not quite that deep. He stocked it with yellowbelly. We quite often catch them out of there. Good fun to catch on lures and fly. We decided to eat one that we caught and even though the water in the dam is pretty clear it still had a muddy taste to it. Good sport though.

Howard

Dont yellowbellys need flowing water to spawn??

Dont know if you want them to spawn but i thought it might help?

Cheers, Zac

Yeah thats the other thing you should be considering, if you dont want to be continually restocking you should pick a species that will breed in dams.... Additionally, most of the fish you will catch out of a dam that size will have a bit of a muddy taste. A mate of mine used to have his stocked with fresh water catties and they were alright but birds (ie shags) used to end up eating them all before he got a chance to stock them so he just gave up...

If it were me, id stock it full of yabbies and freshwater prawns and then release aussie bass in there. They wont spawn but they will get pretty big pretty quick and they are great fun on lure!