Advice For Buying A Beach Rod

fadz

Hey all looking at purchasing a beach rod now that i have my general purpose rod,im looking at spending roughly around $200-$250 on a 12 footer perhaps,or is that abit to much.

Is there anything i need to know before buying one,also can anyone recommend a rod/reel combination from one of the sites sponsors,cheers

weight is important for beach rods. you spend alot of time holding your rod when beach fishing (with or without a holder) so make sure ur combo isnt too heavy.

Nitro make gun beach rods. if ur after large jew n sharks go the messiah, but if just salmon n tailor its overkill.

are u looking at threadline or an alvey?

As close to a good general purpose rod for the beach would be a good quality mt7144. You could go a touch heavier or lighter but the 7144 and 20lb line is a good starting point. Wilson or Snyder glass do great aussie made versions although now that Snyder no longer produces rods they are becoming a harder to get. Wilsons are currently in negotiations with snyder to buy the old mandrils so we could see the original Snyder blanks available again..

Cheers Shane.

Silstar Muscle Tip (same as the Ugly Stik range) are friggin AWESOME rods.

I got one in 10' and it canes with my ABU 7000C3 O'Head- they make spin models too

Should set you back about $130-

Wilson are one of the better locally made rods so I highly recommend you check them out, they have them in 4, 6, and 8 wrap ranging from 10' - 14' rods in O'Head, Spin and Alvey/Side Cast configurations.

They are about the same price as the Silstar rods and similar in quality.

You can always check out the Buy'n'Sell area of this site or check on blah blah poop sometimes you can get a bargain on good gear.

Or check out the site sponsor and see what they can offer you- am sure they would be happy to assist if you have a good idea on what you want to chase from the sand.

I hope this helps