Boat Paintjob

Floating_Medic

Anyone know how much it would be approximately for a 17 foot fibreglass paintjob?

Also, anyone know of anywhere they can do it in sydney, south west area?

Cheers, Alan.

Alan, in response, it will depend a lot on what you want, ie, inside and out or just the outside. What type of finish you are looking at, single pack/2 pack etc, and also how much you are prepared to spend on the paint itself. The hull will need to be prepared properly and this is usually the most time-consuming part of the job, but as a general guide you will be looking at roughly $300 - $400 for paint etc and roughly about $500 - $600 for the painter/spray booth etc, so about a grand roughly.Preparation is up to you or that is another on-cost to get some one to do it for you.

I have a mate with a spray business at Blacktown where I get my boats done but that is after I do all prep work myself.

PM me for further info if you want, or call 0402 110 666 - Happy to help where possible - done it 3 times myself now.

Cheers, Russ.

Edited by Tuffy

Alan, in response, it will depend a lot on what you want, ie, inside and out or just the outside. What type of finish you are looking at, single pack/2 pack etc, and also how much you are prepared to spend on the paint itself. The hull will need to be prepared properly and this is usually the most time-consuming part of the job, but as a general guide you will be looking at roughly $300 - $400 for paint etc and roughly about $500 - $600 for the painter/spray booth etc, so about a grand roughly.Preparation is up to you or that is another on-cost to get some one to do it for you.

I have a mate with a spray business at Blacktown where I get my boats done but that is after I do all prep work myself.

PM me for further info if you want, or call 0402 110 666 - Happy to help where possible - done it 3 times myself now.

Cheers, Russ.

Mate do they lift the boat off the trailer for that sort of money or just remove rollers etc and spray as best they can?

Generally the boat is left on the trailer. I don't know of many instances where the bottom of the hull is painted on a trailer boat, mainly due to potential scratching from sand/ trailer etc. Most glass hulls are usually white/ off white and the colour applied from chine up, so I would reckon that painting the bottom is a bit of unnecessary overkill.

If you check one of my previous posts in workshop you will find a boat I reconned for a mate, a 5.2 glass runabout and you will see what I'm talking about. I don't know how to add the link, so just search under my name. The pricing I indicated in this thread is probably the upper level, but I did that so there were no surprises for anyone.

Obviously if you can access a compressor etc you can always paint the boat yourself, but if painting 2 pack you will need an appropriate environment to spray in - single pack is not so dramatic to work with.

I have personally painted 5 boats and have been involved in helping a mate with another 2 of his, so I would think I speak from experience.

Cost-wise, a job worth doing is worth doing properly, so in the end you can be proud of your achievements.

Besides, a proper job will add avlue to your vessel.

Any help required, just ask.

Tuffy.