Winch Cable Hook Attachment

Cameron

The hook on my Spectra trailer winch cable is badly corroded and I am no longer prepared to trust it. The cable itself appears to still be sound although it is now a few years old. If I was to remove the corroded hook and replace it with a new one, is there a particular technique that I should use to do so, or can I just tie an appropriate knot to secure it?

From a boating store you can buy cable clamps (stainless) which will do the job. You will need to know the diameter of the cable and buy the appropriate size clamp. They just tighten onto the cable with small nuts.

Perhaps someone may offer their views on replacing the cable altogether with a belt/strap. I'm not sure whether they are preferable to a cable.

Two Blues

From a boating store you can buy cable clamps (stainless) which will do the job. You will need to know the diameter of the cable and buy the appropriate size clamp. They just tighten onto the cable with small nuts.

Perhaps someone may offer their views on replacing the cable altogether with a belt/strap. I'm not sure whether they are preferable to a cable.

Two Blues

Guys,

I think I may have confused the issue by referring to the synthetic spectra winch rope as a cable. It is not a steel cable. I take it that I would not use wire clamps on spectra. I was thinking that all I might have to do was tie a suitable knot in the spectra to connect it to the new hook, but then I though that perhaps there is another method that is more suitable

Guys,

I think I may have confused the issue by referring to the synthetic spectra winch rope as a cable. It is not a steel cable. I take it that I would not use wire clamps on spectra. I was thinking that all I might have to do was tie a suitable knot in the spectra to connect it to the new hook, but then I though that perhaps there is another method that is more suitable

I had my spectre cable fail at the place where it attaches to the hook so i had to tie a knot to get it to work......we tied probably 5 or 6 knots before we got one that would work.... the spectre kept slipping no matter what we did....its holding as it is but let me know if u find a tried and tested knot that works as i often look at the one i did and wonder if it is going to slip again....i wrapped the spectre around the hook a few times then did a clove hitch and then a few overhand knots to lock it in....its working so far but there must be a better way.....

I had my spectre cable fail at the place where it attaches to the hook so i had to tie a knot to get it to work......we tied probably 5 or 6 knots before we got one that would work.... the spectre kept slipping no matter what we did....its holding as it is but let me know if u find a tried and tested knot that works as i often look at the one i did and wonder if it is going to slip again....i wrapped the spectre around the hook a few times then did a clove hitch and then a few overhand knots to lock it in....its working so far but there must be a better way.....

I was planning to try a bowline; was that one that you tried?

My spectra failed the first time I used it. It was just looped around the hook as supplied and the friction caused by the boat bouncing around caused it to break. I just tied a locked half blood knot (ie a fishing line knot) and haven't had a problem since.

Cameron -

Just my opinion but if my boat was hanging off the end of a spectra rope, I would like it spliced to a thimble where it joins the hook. A ships chandlier should be able to do it for you. From memory it can be spliced similar to a ski rope. Do some research on the net or take it to someone who knows how.

Cheers

John

I was planning to try a bowline; was that one that you tried?

Pretty sure my mate did a bow line and we did a locked blood knot and that slipped through as well... maybe the spectre was wet and it was slipping on the shiny staino hook? Just put tension on it while on the trailer and see what happens...