Squid And The Moon

slayer666

Hello Joe,

It doesn't matter first/second half, we always have better sessions of squiding when the moon is there. Whether moon or not we tend to turn on a 100 LED light to attract them. Such places (like some Raiders have mentioned before) squiding at the wharf with lights on, then you have to imagine light just like the moon.

Henry,

G'day Joe,

The main thing with the moon phase for squid is that it effects the tides. Full moon or dark of the moon mean big tidal variation which can mean that some spots will get more current flow and sometimes the water will be dirtier. Squid prefer really clean water so go by the water conditions rather than the moon... often though you might find they coincide.

Cheers, Slinky

My mate read an article by Neil Tedesco on squidding and the moon. In his experience, the best (or rather most concentrated) squidding was to be had around the new moon at dawn and dusk, because they have trouble feeding at night with no moon light, and they will always be a little shyer by day with predators around.

At the time of the full moon, they find it easier to feed all night and so won't be so ravenous at particular times.

This theory is currently under test and observation by myself and Brett (The Calamari Kid).

Once you work on it enough, you can get a good number of squid anytime though, I reckon.