Hamilton Island

marley

I am booked in for a holiday to Hamilton Island at the end of next month. Whilst there I want to do a charter for the day :1fishing1: . Has anyone had any personal experience with the operators up there? If so who would you recommend.

Thanks for any advice

gav

Mate i just hired a dingy with the :wife: , had brought 4 rods in a pvc pipe from sydney, packed reels and tackle box of assorted hooks , sinkers and swivels ready for anything.

The guy at the marina recommended we fish with pillies , we spent afew hours on the drift until we finally started catching these lovely looking fish called Red throat emperors, about 8 in total ( looked like brown bream ) and other fish too. We found them around in an eddy and anchored up

Good fun for the family / friends in addition to your charter adventure

;)

Take booze and sangas too :beersmile:

Archilles

post-9286-1253772341_thumb.jpg

post-9286-1253772353_thumb.jpg

post-9286-1253773455_thumb.jpg

Edited by archilles2

Hey mate,

We've been to Hammo a few times and done a couple of half day shared charters. To be honest they a bit of a waste of time, you spend as much time travelling as you do fishing, and the fishing is a bit slow usually, some trolling for macks which can be good if their hot but with up to 12ppl on the boat your chance of getting a fish are fairly slim, then its reef fishing with big handlines and a lot of the time u dont realise you have a fish on with the strong current and heavy mono.

If you've got enough cash to go on a private trip then i have read good articles about that and undoubtedly with more personal attention and space you would have a much better trip.

Good luck,

Josh

Me and the missus have been there a couple times and been on a charter on half day trips but not much sucsess, id recomend a dingy hire, poternoster rig and some nice popers, you will find that there is a fair bit of current running in between one of the nearby islands, you'll know which one im talking about, give that a go for some queenie's and reefe's, also try the marina of some of the jetty's. you'll see a fair bit of queene's and good chance of a few small marlins zipping in and out at times.

Hope it helps.