Jewfish Session 1

koolio

Hi All,

this is my first post on this forum.

I have set myself a goal for the next 6 months. That is, I will be fishing the surf exclusvely for the elusive Jewfish. This morning was my first session.

I planned the session yesterday afternoon. It was to be a 3am kick-off at Wanda. I arrived with two other mates. Fresh squid in hand (snap frozen at time of capture) we ventured down to Greenhills. When we got to the sand we took a left turn and headed north in search for a fishy gutter. Some facts about this morning:

1. There was no wind to speak of (5knot offshore breeze)

2. barometric pressure was at 1012 and steady.

3. Moon phase is waxing gibbous.

4. We would be fishing the last 2.5 hours of the run in tide.

Issue 1: low level of light. As there was little swell to speak of, we had a lot of trouble picking a fishable gutter from a sand bank.

Issue 2: The tide at 3am was approx 0.8m. With a high of about 1.3m it seemed quite low which exacurbated issue 1.

Issue 3: The further North we headed the shallower the water seemed.

We fished for 3 hours until 6am and then packed up and went home. All three of us got a bite or two but nothing noteworthy. We were all fishing 2 hook setups: 8/- & 6/0 combination with a sliding snell top hook.

As the squid was large we decided to cut 3cm wide strips for bait.

Lessons learned:

1. Suss out the gutters during the day and dont leave it until it is pitch black to "guess".

2. Move south of Green Hills towards Elouera Surf club where I know the gutters are more pronounced and deeper.

My goal is to get onto a few Jewfish in the next 6 months so any advice anyone may have would be welcomed.

PS - Thanks for all the great mulloway info contained in many of your posts!

A lot of people seem to have forgotten one of the best baits for Jew off the beach is accually beach worms.

I have caught lots of jew of the sand from soapies to over 40lbs. Most of these have been on worms or halved tailor baits.

While you are catching the worms for bait it gives you the perfect oppertunity to check the fishing spot and leave some kind of marker on the beach to find again in the dark.

The best rig i found for worm baits is to take the worm and thread the hook all the way on over the eye of the hook and up the line. Pull the worm up the line 6 inches or more if they are big then pierce the worm thought exposing the barb and loop the balance of the worm onto the hook. about 1 inch loops.

You should end up with a bait that is like a ball of worm on the bottom and the piece up the line. Use more than 1 worm if they are the short harder type.

You will suffer from some pickers but the prize is good. Jew actually come onto beaches searching for worms.

Anyway just the way i have caught them since i was young.

The rig is a single hook and i never used really big ones, most likley 3/0.

I used a standard ball sinker swivell and leader to hook. Leader of around 600mm or slightly larger.

My brother preferred a rig where the sinker was on the bottom. He liked it beacuse he thought he had less issues with crabs taking his bait.

The other great bait we used was the head and gut of a tailor. A lot of the Jew I have caught were from Stockton Beach after fishing for tailor. We would clean the fish, take the first head and lob it out as a bait. We would cut the head and gut out in one piece and use it on a two hook snell.

We usually either got Jew or bitten off by more toothy critters.

Have fun

Best bait:

Beach Worms (live), large mullet slabs, and whole pillies on ganged hooks....

Best times:

Midnight high tide of 1.65m or more

best in Spring/Summer

Rising baro pressure

Look for suppounding structure (headland, reef formations, bombies, and large deep gutters with steep drop offs).

Best Beaches:

Northern Beches: Whale Beach, Pal Beach, Dee Why

Broken Bay: Pearl Beach, Killcare, Box Head (requires a long walk in or boat to fish the bombie in the area)

City Beaches: Maroubra, Bronte, Tamarama

Not sure of south beaches, sorry cannot help there

Hope this is OK info

I've heard it said that alchol was invented for the Jew fisherman

Cheers, Langa

Hehehe! couldn't agree more with you Langa

Also it tends to cause a few fights with :wife: when you come home angry and empty handed again.