New Daiwa Saltist Lever Drags

hornet435

Hi - I wonder whether anyone has had experince with the new Saltist lever drag reels - I am considering either a 30 or 40 single speed (already have a torium 20 which is v nice, but young bloke keeps taking it over and I like the lever drag - so darn it, will have to buy another reel) pro's/cons - particularly casting with them - I was looking at a US site and they said they would go for an Avet as they cast better and are stronger. I suspect a bit of American one upmanship here - but would appreciate thoughts. Would be using it to troll macks and cast if it was suitable. Thanks Jim :1fishing1:

Hi - I wonder whether anyone has had experince with the new Saltist lever drag reels - I am considering either a 30 or 40 single speed (already have a torium 20 which is v nice, but young bloke keeps taking it over and I like the lever drag - so darn it, will have to buy another reel) pro's/cons - particularly casting with them - I was looking at a US site and they said they would go for an Avet as they cast better and are stronger. I suspect a bit of American one upmanship here - but would appreciate thoughts. Would be using it to troll macks and cast if it was suitable. Thanks Jim :1fishing1:

Sorry but havent used one yet but the Avet I have and they feel like an old egg beater, grindy and noisey. Heard of a 300lb marlin being battled on one of the Saltist 50's for 3 hrs and I recon it felt as smooth as a new one when I felt it when they got home!

Greg

Thanks Greg - appreciated - Jim

Sorry but havent used one yet but the Avet I have and they feel like an old egg beater, grindy and noisey. Heard of a 300lb marlin being battled on one of the Saltist 50's for 3 hrs and I recon it felt as smooth as a new one when I felt it when they got home!

Greg

I have an avet bmx(black magic), top reel. Does not have mag casting control like the new avets but stil able to cast a great distance. The only know issue with avets is poor drainage which could have lead to rusting which could possibily be the reason for gregs to run like an old eggbeater. By drilling a pinsize hole under the gearbox for drainage solves this along with general tlc. I too was looking for a saltist ld but went the avet due to their solid build and personally haven't had the greatest customer service from daiwa in the past. They are a tough reel.

I don't think you will be able to cast the saltist, more like lob similar to tld's etc.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks very much Chris - I agree about TLD - it is a lob, and heart in mouth with overruns. Cheers Jim

I have an avet bmx(black magic), top reel. Does not have mag casting control like the new avets but stil able to cast a great distance. The only know issue with avets is poor drainage which could have lead to rusting which could possibily be the reason for gregs to run like an old eggbeater. By drilling a pinsize hole under the gearbox for drainage solves this along with general tlc. I too was looking for a saltist ld but went the avet due to their solid build and personally haven't had the greatest customer service from daiwa in the past. They are a tough reel.

Thanks very much - worth checking whether they have fixed that up. Out of interest, what rod and line to you combine with the bmx? Thanks Jim :1fishing1:

My next lever drag overhead will be a Daiwa LD30 2 speed, and i'm a big Avet fan (the newer style Avets with plastic handle knobs and silent anti reverse dogs are way smoother than the older style and blackmagic style).

The Daiwas look very well built, great feeling drag and super smooth. Double anti-reverse bearings on the single speeds and silent double dogs on the two speeds.

You can certainly cast a lever drag like this a long way, provided you have a trained thumb, patience, lots of spare line to learn with, and a suitable rod.

Thanks very much Chris - I agree about TLD - it is a lob, and heart in mouth with overruns. Cheers Jim

Thanks very much - worth checking whether they have fixed that up. Out of interest, what rod and line to you combine with the bmx? Thanks Jim :1fishing1:

When I got it there was no bulk spools at the shop of 60lb braid which was my first choice, so I have just under 400m of 80lb braid on it and run a lighter leader. Have it on an ugly stick bluewater 5'6" 24kg jigging rod that I had lying around at home. Sounds like massive overkill (and probably is) but I was surprised that I could boost the drag up while mantaining free spool and put a serious bend in the rod. I was also surprised by the amount of line it could hold.

When this line gets of age I will be spooling it with 60lb braid and I will also probably be putting it on a different rod, probably something around 6ft and a bit lighter, just depending on how this setup gets me through this summer.

The black magic model is an older style of avet reel and there has been some improvements to the new avet range. Check out the avet website and also google the reel for more information.

Even the sx models are a tough little reel the deckie on a recent charter I went on up on the gold coast hooked up an estimated 5ft mako using 30lb braid and gave it a good show until it breached and snapped the line like dental floss.

Regards

Daniel