Offshore Flattys

framedtrash

i have just finished up mods on the boat to make it legal to start heading offshore

i have some great offshore flattty marks and the plan is to go and give them a working

whats the best time to go and fish for them

whats the best rigs to use? should i just be using a paternoster with a sinker to keep the rig on the bottom with 2-3 droppers?

any tips,advice would be great

cheers in advance

:1fishing1:

Personally i just use a paternoster with 2 droppers using 3/0 hooks and obviously sinker at bottom big enough to hold bottom all the time and not having to "chase " the bottom all the time is best...sometimes this cant be done due to the current....sometimes (like last monday for eg.) you cant get enough drift going to cover ground and find the fish....(we only manged a couple) just drift round and if we hit a patch mark it on gps and go back and fish it each time...we just use "normal" baits obviously the fresher the better if not qaulity prawns or ultimately if ur gunna target them get the best white bait u can find and this will usually outfish prawns and pillies if u can get it to stay on your hook....having said that the biggest offshore flattie i have caught was on a live yakka......fresh yakka fillets obviously are the goods as well.... the best time?same as most baitfishing i suppose.....early morning or around the tide change or both if u can get it....good luck

G'day Famedtrash,

Yep... a simple paternoster is the way to go. Drift is the key mate. If you're not drifting, it's worth casting and slowly retrieving. If you're drifting too fast, put out a sea anchor.

It's worth putting a plastic on the rig too... curl tail patterns work well as they move enticingly without having to give them any action with rod work.

Tight lines, Slinky