Georges River.

hamerz84

gday guys bought a few new vibes and poppers today, 1st time ive ventured into the world of hard bodies just wanted to know if someone can pointme in the right direction in regards to fishing landbased around the georges river ? and wat sort of places to target like structure sand banks or whatever info will help me with the lures. been playing wih soft plastics for a while now and had some pretty good success on them. cheers and thanks in advance.

thanks for the info fella's, i should of said in my 1st post i live in punchbowl so i hoping someone can point me to a few spots somewhere along henry lawson drive or the likes cheers.

Hi Hamerz84

If you're restricted to landbased fishing, the Liverpool side of Milperra Bridge would be a good place to fish soft plastics, not so much poppers as a floating bait would be wrong sided during the run in tide which is the best tide to fish there.... and also because of visual and the type of eddies that are formed when the tide picks up - bearing in mind that on that side, the run out run will take you away from the pylon and the run in tide will turn your popper around a pylon quicker than a fish sitting in the eddy in close to a pylon will rise...... It would be difficult using blade type lures or hard bodies landbased there because of the nature of the bottom and left over bridge material....

The bridge itself would be one of the best places I know to fish live bait under a float as even during the best bite period, which is the slow just before and after the stillwater... Some of the eddies on that side are still quite noticable, and you'll see that they will extend out solid up to 15 metres square off the first pylon for starters... Also there is good open run of water outside the first pylon that extends all the way to the start of the swirl coming out the second pylon which is just out of casting distance from the grass right at the side of the bridge itself and that's a desirable area to fish for transient fish like jewfish which come out of their home holes swetting on fish holding in eddies....

As to how to get to that part of the bridge from Punchbowl...... As soon as you cross Milperra Bridge going towards Moorebank, turn left just before you reach the closed down take away building and hook right around to the left and drive down the track alongside the road you drove down on until you reach the water.... If you drive your car in just to the inside of the black garbage bin, you can fish right at your car on the flat grassy platform right there ...If that side is not working at all on baits on the bottom stillwater ----which is a good guage and the best time to start off your fishing at the bridge itself---- drive over to the other side of the Bridge and rock fish in general casting out as far as you can to sand.....but on that side, you'll need to climb down the rocks right alongside the bridge as it's a bit steep and slippery to go down the red dirt section alongside the last house on Henry Lawson Drive...

There are literally heaps of smaller jew being caught in the upriver sections, and at the moment moreso if you are into fishing change days or nights.... Landbased fishermen have caught plenty of big mulloway at the Georges River bridges over the years, and that includes Milperra Bridge, and boat fisherman have done well anchored back from the bridge fishing in the open thoroughfare in between pylons...

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Mate the best luck i have ever had on henry Lawson with the flatties in particular is walking out waste deep at the mouth of Kelso creek casting out into the channel there, it's at Kelso Beach or some call it Revesby Beach.

If you're interested in practicing your technique do your double flicks and all the like but in the time i have been fishing there i have never caught anything but Flathead.

So my advice would be the hell with technique and just use a very slow retreive maybe a small flick every now and again to stir up some sand.

Try to resist the urge to fish from the more appealing sandy area that all the once a year fisho's fish from because you will for most of your efforts get absoulutely nothing from here.

Use the muddy bank to the very right of the beach go 3 hours before the low tide and have fun be patient, maybe see you there sometime.

I honestly reckon i could slow retrieve a hook in the sand and catch a flathead sometimes...

Cheers Mick, Good Luck!! :1prop:

adding to what fisho for life said about fishing the low tide at kelso,well i was there 4 a quik flick on my way home from fishing picnic pt area & when i got there just on dusk & the start of the run out,i bumped into a fisho there.he didnt do any good but he told me of a couple young blokes wading out to the right of kelso beach near the mouth of the creek & he said they C&R 4or5 big flattys,right where you were talkn about fisho for life.he said they were there for less than an hr & caught those nice fish,took a few pics & let them go.was that you FFL?btw,i didnt land any in the half hr we were there,only couple hits & pulled hooks on flattys i think.

:beersmile: cheers johnny :thumbup:

adding to what fisho for life said about fishing the low tide at kelso,well i was there 4 a quik flick on my way home from fishing picnic pt area & when i got there just on dusk & the start of the run out,i bumped into a fisho there.he didnt do any good but he told me of a couple young blokes wading out to the right of kelso beach near the mouth of the creek & he said they C&R 4or5 big flattys,right where you were talkn about fisho for life.he said they were there for less than an hr & caught those nice fish,took a few pics & let them go.was that you FFL?btw,i didnt land any in the half hr we were there,only couple hits & pulled hooks on flattys i think.

:beersmile: cheers johnny :thumbup:

Haha hey Johnny yea that was me alright i know because im the only one that wades out there that's for sure been fishing that beach my whole life i'll send you a pm email mate.

• 7 years later...
On Monday, October 12, 2009 at 1:33 PM, mbolton@jsg.com.au said:

Mate the best luck i have ever had on henry Lawson with the flatties in particular is walking out waste deep at the mouth of Kelso creek casting out into the channel there, it's at Kelso Beach or some call it Revesby Beach.

If you're interested in practicing your technique do your double flicks and all the like but in the time i have been fishing there i have never caught anything but Flathead.

So my advice would be the hell with technique and just use a very slow retreive maybe a small flick every now and again to stir up some sand.

Try to resist the urge to fish from the more appealing sandy area that all the once a year fisho's fish from because you will for most of your efforts get absoulutely nothing from here.

Use the muddy bank to the very right of the beach go 3 hours before the low tide and have fun be patient, maybe see you there sometime.

I honestly reckon i could slow retrieve a hook in the sand and catch a flathead sometimes...

Cheers Mick, Good Luck!! :1prop:

Hey mate, fished there today. Tide wasnt ideal but i got one little flatty on a hard bod. Do you still live local? Would be good to fish with someone with heaps of local knowledge.... cheers

On Thursday, March 09, 2017 at 10:25 PM, MattGb1989 said:

Hey guys when fishing from the muddy bank do u wear any protective shoes or is it safe to go bear foot?? Will be heading that way hopefully early next week if anyone is interested in joining 

I would wear shoes mate, there a bit of garbage around, i think ill bring waders, i might go wednesday or thursday if your keen 3pm