4.0m Stacer?

Berleyguts

I am looking at a used 4.0m Stacer, forward control with 25hp Yamaha and am interested in feedback from any members with similar boats.

I was looking for a 4.2-4.5 meter centre or side console with a 40hp or higher (a Quintrex Hornet or similar would be great) but haven't had much luck finding anything suitable within my limited budget. I love boats that I used to fish out of in my 20's, e.g. Quintrex 4.3m Fishrunner, 4.5m Fishraider, Lazeabout etc.

I guess compromises sometimes need to be made and any boat is better than no boat! I am finding my 10ft Dehavilland punt just a tad too small and cramped these days!

The Stacer is a '91 model and the outboard may be later and has recently been overhauled, new steering cables too. But it is only manual tilt.

Due to my tow vehicles (1974 VW Kombi 2 litre and 2002 Honda Civic 1700) and a particularly steep driveway, I need to go for a smaller aluminium boat.

I will mainly use in the Hawkesbury, Georges, Botany Bay and Port Hacking but also Shoalhaven, Jervis Bay, Port Stephens, Jindabyne, Burrinjuck etc, I hope. I guess with only a 25hp motor, I would be pushing my luck if I ventured offshore and needed to get back in a hurry. I will probably fish on my own mostly and my wife will join me on occasions and/or possibly, on rare occasions, my son (17).

Stacer4m.jpg

Pros and Cons as I see it:

Cons

Not a console set-up - less fishing room. At 4.0m, it is small enough as it is.

Harsher ride than a console set-up in heavy chop.

25hp motor (too small?)

Only manual tilt

Pros

Forward control and windscreen set-up appeals to the wife, as she can get some protection from wind etc.

Swivel seats that she likes rather than thwart seats (there is a rear thwart)

Flat floor.

Fishfinder

Marine radio

Navigation lights

Heaps of rod holders and horizontal rod storage.

Bait board

Two downriggers and mounts fitted (have to learn how to use them)

Steering and motor recently overhauled and runs well.

Although manual tilt, motor can be pull-started if needed

Don't need to add much more fishing gear wise - maybe electric motor, GPS and live well.

It's bigger than the punt and 6hp motor!

Looking at the above, it looks like I've already convinced myself! It is being sold through dealer under consignment and I have made a low offer. However, I'd appreciate any feedback from members with similar boats and fishing styles, maybe with some pics?

Thanks,

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts

Congrats on your purchase!

I have a 4.3m Stessl with a Tohatsu 50 on the back and its a great little boat (my first)

I fish in all all the places you have mentioned and get there and back with ease, although i haven't ventured put past the heads .................. YET!

I think you had your mind made up anyways looking at the Pro's and Con's!!

Tight Lines!!

CheeRS

Ant

Thanks,

I would have liked a 4.3 with a 50 but this will have to do. If I keep waiting until I can afford the boat I really want, I'll never get it!

Baz

good luck with your boat mate, i hope she serves you well. and your spot on about waiting to be a dream boat, your much better off having one than dreaming of one, you have to start somewhere.