Battle Scar

trungie

Took the wife down south to Bannisters for a small holiday. Bit of relaxation and change of pace.

Found a spot and armed with pillies we fished sunset. There was a bit of tailor around and they were great fun on light gear. After two hours of fun and games it died down and people actually started to arrive. None one hooked up anything and we all decided to head off.

As we were packing up a new couple came and asked me if there any bites. I felt bad for them as it was pretty dead and they made the effort to come out and fish, so i lied and said "yeah a few" heh.

My wife left a line in the water sitting on a little stool with the second last pillie when it abruptly fell over. She got a fright and thought i fell over or something. The rod just slammed into the ground and was travelling into the water. I quickly grabbed it and the line was peeling off like no tommorrow, zzzzzzzzZZzzz. I was in such a hurry to grab the rod that the line cut my hand.

It was a crack up, because it was a cheaper Daiwa D shock rod 6'6 and it was bent over almost to the butt like i was jigging. THe only thing was, i was on land and whatever was on the end was making a quick get away.

I got back 1m of line in the whole battle and watched over half my spool empty away to the abyss. I had to do something and have a bit of line to fight with so i had to tighten the drag and thats when the knot failed.

I was thinking it must of been a shark or a jewfish even.

Ahh well, wasnt to be. The couple who just arrived got so excited. I think they would of stayed there all night.

Sorry no pics. The annoying thing is now, i want to hook up another monster like that again!!!! hahah. Hopefully land it.

Like to be a Noah mate, if it didnt stop and just emptied out your spool then I reckon Noah for sure.

A big jewie will run parallel to the gutter you are fishing then give those monster headshakes after it stops to swallow the biat, then will give you another blistering run, only more powerful and shorter than the first.

Had a siliar thing happen to me up Nth last year, friggin came close to pulling all my 30lb mono off my Okuma surf reel, I got back about 10m of line then it happened "ping..."

Will forever wish I had have not been so stupid and tightened up the drag when she stopped, she had another 3 runs in her before she got off... :05:

I was lucky I fought her for 20 minutes before she won her freedom, and she came back for a 2nd burst on another rig but the hook was spat as quickly as she picked up the bait, lol

... But then again thats why we keep going back to try again, and thats fishing.

Great report even though you didnt nail her, but a good feed of Taylor is still a great catch on light gear.

Well done champ!

:1prop: