30 Hp Yamaha Outboard

Longy

Hi all,

Some advise from the knowledgeable people at Fishraider please.

Back in late July, had a 30 hp yamaha 1990 outboard (2nd hand) put onto a tinnie, the marine shop that did it, also gave it a service at that time.

Anyway, before we took it out on Monday, we gave it a go at starting it, after many unsuccessful pulls, we checked the spark plugs, they were pretty much brand new, check the spark, plenty of spark, we pretty much gave up, but an uncle brought around a product similar to CRC Aerostart, a few spray into the air intake, and first pull, she starts.

We let in run on muffs for 5 or so minutes, shut it off and tried again, sure enough, she starts first pull. Leave it of for and hour or so, try aagain, and she starts straight away.

So feeling a bit better, as it meant we could head out next day with some confidence we can get it going (we took the magic spray with us), launched the boat, 2nd pull, she starts.

We start heading to the 3rd runway (launched in the Cook river), half way there, the motor conks out. Check everything, all looks ok, but no matter how much we pull, no go. Change the depth of the prop in the water, as it was in too deep, took of the cover and gave it a spray with the magic spray into the air intake, sure enough, she starts first pull again.

Get out to the the end of the 3rd runway, fished there for a bit without too much action, decided to move, she started up first pull, moved a couple of times, started 1st pull each time, and also had no dramas heading back to the boat ramp.

But when we go home, ready to flush the motor (on muffs), we couldn't get it to start again, off goes the cover, did not start with the first spray or sencond spray with the magic stuff, gave it a bit more spray then she fired up.

So what could be the problem or do we just have to carry alot of CRC Aerostart when/were ever we go?

Thanks for any advise.

By the way, we only caught 1 flatty, 1 bream and a trevally.

Regards,

Long

Yep, I,m thinking fuel as well.

I used to have a 25 Jonno pull start, about a 2000 model from memory, and had the same problem. It ended up being a miniscule pin hole in a fuel line under the cowl which wasn't obvious until I flexed the line a bit - and it was right up close to the fuel pump, so how it happened is beyond me, but it was enough to cause starting/running probs. Cut off 2cm of the hose & refixed with no future issues.

Could be that simple.

Cheers, Tuffy