Broken Bay Salmon

oapns

Hi guys I decided to head out for a fish with my neighbour about 3 weeks ago. We put the boat the boat in at apple tree bay and headed straight for the flats in jeruselem bay. It usually serves up a decent flattie and today was no exception, however this one was not the usual mid 40cm but right on the limit so back he went. Then decided to check west reef. We got a few rock cod and wrasse but nothing special so we decided head back into one of the bays. On the way back we noticed some birds near lion island so we went to investigate. On approach we found a massive school of salmon busting the surface. Excitment levels on the boat went through the roof as we raced to find some metal slugs. My current weapon of choice is a samurai reaction 201 rod (1-3pnd) mated to a twin pwr 2500 with td 4pnd braid. There were 3 boats chasing the school when we arrived but the fish were picky. My first hook up saw a good fight with 3-4 jumps before he tossed the hook right next to the boat. Still determined I cast straight back out to hook up again. The rod and reel was working overtime to hold the fish. After some acrobatics the fish was landed about 10 min later. He went 63cm and 2.5kg. I wasn't finished and was back on again 3 casts later. This one dove straight down bending the rod into a u shape, I wasn't sure how much more it could take. He was pulling drag like there was no tomorrow and I struggled to get line back. 15min later he decided to surface, just as he got near the top he dove again snapping my line. I was out of metal and fuming so we headed home, it was then that I made the comment that I probably should have put my 10pnd spool on instead of the 4pnd. My neighbour looked at me and said I was an idiot, but hey I like to be sporting. I will upload the photos when I work out how to do it.