Timber Floor

Berleyguts

I decided to lift the timber floor from my 4m Stacer yesterday to check for sinkers, swivels etc. I bought the boat 2 weeks ago and have had it out once. The floor was screwed down with stainless steel screws (Why don't people use Phillips head screws? So much easier to to screw in/out!). I assume the floor was a DIY job as there is no bilge pump and I think one woudl be needed with a floor since you couldn't really bail with a bucket???

I removed the flotation foam, vacuumed all the leaves and muck out and luckily found only a few small ball sinkers, a hook and a lure, minus hooks - no signs of electrolysis. Gave it a good blast with a guerney and proceeded to refit the floor. I had some trouble lining up the screws with the original holes.

My questions are:

1. Does the floor need to be screwed down or can it just sit there? I think it would be easier if not fixed down to facilitate easier cleaning when sinkers etc. are dropped and work their way beneath the floor.

2. Wouldn't the existing stainless steel screws pose a risk of electrolysis? They did not appear to have any sikaflex or similar on them.

If the floor does need to be screwed down, I can lift it again and add sikaflex to the screws if that is the way to go. I need to lift part of the floor to fit a bilge pump anyway.

Thoughts/advice sought, please.

Thanks,

Baz

Hi Baz,

How would you hold the flotation foam packages down? if you didn't screw the timber floor back on to the floor frame.

You can use "Duralac jointing compound" to screw those stainless steel screws back to the their aluminium base for better protection against to electrolysis.

Cheers

Sam

Hi Baz,

How would you hold the flotation foam packages down? if you didn't screw the timber floor back on to the floor frame.

You can use "Duralac jointing compound" to screw those stainless steel screws back to the their aluminium base for better protection against to electrolysis.

Cheers

Sam

Thanks Sam. I thought of that later, duh! I thought, since I'm sitting standing on the floor, it wouldn't be going anywhere but then realised if I capsized or copped a huge wave, he floor would just float away and the foam with it! :wacko: I bought some marine Sikaflex today. I will have to drill some new holes because I jus can't line up some of the originals.

Cheers,

Baz