Longreef Virgin

leatherjacket

Hi All,

A mate and I going out to long reef tomorrow for the first time and we intend to fish the wall and some wrecks out wide if we can find them? :wacko:

I heard the Coolooi is a good dive and I would assume it's also a good fishing spot? Does anyone recommend any other wrecks and I would be grateful for any scraps of information especially GPS! :huh:

I've heard that jigging is a good way to catch kingies in the deeper water and we might trowl squid around the headland and near the wall. Also I've been told that it is very dangerous and we are in a fibreglass boat, so any safety advice is also greatly appreciated. :1boat:

Cheer,

Andrew

:1fishing1:

Edited by leatherjacket

since im in the giving mood today here is the mark for the Coolooi wreck s33° 43' 11" e151° 20' 53"

its in 48 metres of water

fishing in any shallow reef is dangerous just keep your distance from the shallow water

heres a map of the area

g im nice today you owe me some kingys

70020953.jpg

G'day LJ

Tomorrow is only predicted at 1m swell, low breeze so you will have no problem fishing the wall area and will be able to drift/drive over the top of it with no fear. it's still 8m deep on the top of it.

On the Northern edge of Longy there's a place called White Rock.(where 7.4 is on the map above) Heaps of rats stacked up on the top of the edge here. The waters crystal clear at the moment so you will be able to see why it's called white rock! ;)

DO you have a GPS plotter with a mapping card or software in it?

FUrther north from longy there are a bunch of wrecks in a group. MOst GPS systems have wrecks marked on the maps already. I know mine came with sh1t loads showing off Sydney. They look like ## symbols on the maps.

Try drop live slimmies on them for the bigger kings.

Greg

Edited by GregL

Could someone point me where was the wall area on the map.

Thanks

Lagos

The wall is the drop off from the 7.4m bit to deep water to the east of it , it drops off to around the 20m mark. Just zig zag along the wall heading south , look for the bait and the kings on your pinger. if you find the Black scourge (sweep) stay with them cause the kings usually hang out with them. There is shit loads of amberjacks there at the moment off the drop off , we saw a heap down deep along with shoals of rat kings.

Slow troll yakkas with a 1/4lb snapper rubber banded to the line about 25m back , have another yakka or a garfish on the surface and you should be able to locate them . I usually mark the spot on my plotter and then motor up current and drift back down over the spot while burleying . If you have fresh squid , use strips with pea size sinkers stripping them back down the burley and get your mate to flick some large white sluggos around , work them deep .

Tide change is also the key , sunday morning there is a 1.72m high nice and early - there is a SE wind puffing up , but to be honest , the bumpier it is , the better the fishing will be.

since im in the giving mood today here is the mark for the Coolooi wreck s33° 43' 11" e151° 20' 53"

its in 48 metres of water

fishing in any shallow reef is dangerous just keep your distance from the shallow water

heres a map of the area

g im nice today you owe me some kingys

70020953.jpg

Mate,

your a legend! Many thanks for the great detail and effort!

Cheers,

Andrew

G'day LJ

Tomorrow is only predicted at 1m swell, low breeze so you will have no problem fishing the wall area and will be able to drift/drive over the top of it with no fear. it's still 8m deep on the top of it.

On the Northern edge of Longy there's a place called White Rock.(where 7.4 is on the map above) Heaps of rats stacked up on the top of the edge here. The waters crystal clear at the moment so you will be able to see why it's called white rock! ;)

DO you have a GPS plotter with a mapping card or software in it?

FUrther north from longy there are a bunch of wrecks in a group. MOst GPS systems have wrecks marked on the maps already. I know mine came with sh1t loads showing off Sydney. They look like ## symbols on the maps.

Try drop live slimmies on them for the bigger kings.

Greg

Thanks heaps! I'll post if I catch anything.

Cheers,

Andrew

The wall is the drop off from the 7.4m bit to deep water to the east of it , it drops off to around the 20m mark. Just zig zag along the wall heading south , look for the bait and the kings on your pinger. if you find the Black scourge (sweep) stay with them cause the kings usually hang out with them. There is shit loads of amberjacks there at the moment off the drop off , we saw a heap down deep along with shoals of rat kings.

Slow troll yakkas with a 1/4lb snapper rubber banded to the line about 25m back , have another yakka or a garfish on the surface and you should be able to locate them . I usually mark the spot on my plotter and then motor up current and drift back down over the spot while burleying . If you have fresh squid , use strips with pea size sinkers stripping them back down the burley and get your mate to flick some large white sluggos around , work them deep .

Tide change is also the key , sunday morning there is a 1.72m high nice and early - there is a SE wind puffing up , but to be honest , the bumpier it is , the better the fishing will be.

I appreciate the great information rekless. I have some snap frozen squids in the frrezer and I will definitely try your advice next week if the weather permits.

Cheers

Sam