Overnight @ Nth Head

jewiehaven

Hi All,

My mates, ben Dave and I went for an overnighter to nth Head last night.

Started @ Balmoral for live squid and yakkas- the place was packed.

We got no squid but they were there, tried various jig colours/sizes still no joy.

Managed 5 yakkas but there were heaps more there just not on the chew.

Around 2:00am we left for the heads and platform.

About 3am I tangled with something that took a HUGE run on a locked drag Alvey.

I thought I got dusted and was winding in when I noticed that the faster I wound the mroe slack was created???

Got to a few metres from the platform and I called for the net

After seeing colour we all called for a soapie and were all hooting and what not.

After he was in the net Ben thought it was in fact a rat kingie

Realized it was a BIG Taylor- he went 50cm on the dot :1clap::thumbup:

post-2272-1258854514_thumb.jpg

post-2272-1258854521_thumb.jpg

post-2272-1258854529_thumb.jpg

One of the blokes near us got a baby Cobia

post-2272-1258854541_thumb.jpg

Dave got dusted BADLY on 4lb when a rat ran him from one end of the ledge to the other very, very quickly.

A change of tactics saw us run out of livies but get 5 more after the sun came up, this was mixed in with lots of baby Sweep. :angry:

Sorry for bad piccie quality was takewn with phone (not mine either, lol)

Still a fantastic night with a couple of mates and we had a ball. :1prop:

We will definitely be going again to the same spot very, very soon try for my first legal kingie.

Edited by jewiehaven

Nice taylor... pretty decent aye... did u say you caught it on a live yakka... but hey love the look of the baby cobia... it looks soooooooo kool...

Kingcatcher

Yer, on a live yakka, we thought it was either a kingie or a Jew by the run- peeled about 60m in a few seconds then came screaming back towards me (and the rocks!).

Was using 2 X snelled 4/0 Big Red Mustad Suicide Hooks, on 15lb mono with a 30lb leader of about 70cm, with a running bomb sinker in size 2 (I think... )

Nathan, yer we had a great night.

I bled him straight away and stuck him head down in a crevice between the rocks to bleed out.

Then he went on ice until we left, I havent eaten him yet but I kow he will taste real good, I love eating Taylor. :beersmile:

Sam, there arte plenty of rocks platforms around Nth Head, South Head and even Middle head, but some are way more dangerous than others and often just getting there is a mission in itself.

Check Google Maps and have a scout around to where is accessible and if you want to try somewhere ask here on the forums and you should get plenty of info.

I cannot be more specific as this is only my 2nd rock outing since I stoppped rock-hopping when I was 17 after watching a guy drown off harrington breakwall- such a tragedy and I am very aware of the dangers and limitations of yself these days and I NEVER fish the rocks alone and I also have a backout plan of it all goes to poo.

Harold, even though he not my PB (my PB is 84cm from the harbour) he is the biggest model I have seen in a few years of beach fishing- most of the "school" Taylor are between 35 and 42/43cm so he was one of the bigger models I have seen taken this time of year. :1fishing1:

The good thing is it can only get better from now on, I hope the next time I will have success with the Kingies or even a Jewie, but I would also be happy with a grandfather Cobia like the one in the piccie, only MUCH bigger! what a beautiful fish they are, I was stunned when this guy brought it up we were like WTF!- why is there Cobia in Syd Harbour. I have heard of them Nth and Sth but not in the harbour itself.

Cheers for the replies lads, much apprecaited.

nice tailor mate.60mtr run is a huge run for a tailor of that size,wouldv been fun.bet you had it pegged for a decent king with a run like that.my PB tailor of 61cm caught spinning last month off jibbon rocks went pretty hard but no match for the gear i was using,15-30lb penn spinfisher rod,6500 daiwa emblem pro & 30lb braid & leader.VERY powerful outfit.

its awsome to see a cobe landed in the harbour,warm currents & the plentiful bait in the harbour must of brang em in.id love to catch a cobe of any size in sydney.

must of been tricky clambering down to the ledge in the dark,good on you guys for putting in the hard yards & coming up with the goods.any other fish landed by you & your crew,or anyone else on the platform?

:beersmile: cheers johnny. :thumbup: