Poddy's For Kings / Salmon / Tailor Etc In Mh?

paulthetaffy

Hello fellow raiders!

I'm just after your thoughts on using poddy's as livebait in MH (land-based) for Kings / Salmon / Tailor / Lizards / Jews etc? I'm going to be fishing the evening high tide on Sunday with the misses (read we're going for a picnic and I'm taking my rods :) ) so thought it would be a nice relaxing way to fish to stick out a few livies and see what turns up. I'm most likely going to be at clontarf or possibly spit bridge north.

I would normally use yakkas but everything coming out of Balmoral (my local reliable yakka spot) seem to be too big to use as livies - they're all 20-25cm+ So I thought I might nip up to Narrabeen lake on Sunday morning and grab a bucket of poddy's to use instead. I've heard that poddy's will stay alive longer than yakkas too (they'll be in a large bucket with an aerator all day)

So will these make a good alternative to using yakkas when used in MH?

I'm also going to try for some squid on Sunday morning but they're not likely to stay alive until the evening.

I've actually never fished exclusively for poddy's either but have burleyed enough of them up at narra to know where they are. Presumably something like a #12 long shank under a float with small pieces of moulded bread is the way to go?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

Mate, I would be interested in this too. I am aware of a fellow who chases big kings off the rocks who likes to use a bully mullet as a livie and apparently they're very good. I have tried using them but to no avail.

To get them, use a trap, I think it's legal to get up to 20 as long as they are under 15cm. Traps are available quite cheaply from tackle shops.

Would be interested in hearing feedback from others re: using them as bait - I use them for flatties and they are very effective, I have never caught anything other than flathead.

Cheers,

neil

Edited by neilm

Mate, I would be interested in this too. I am aware of a fellow who chases big kings off the rocks who likes to use a bully mullet as a livie and apparently they're very good. I have tried using them but to no avail.

To get them, use a trap, I think it's legal to get up to 20 as long as they are under 15cm. Traps are available quite cheaply from tackle shops.

Would be interested in hearing feedback from others re: using them as bait - I use them for flatties and they are very effective, I have never caught anything other than flathead.

Cheers,

neil

I thought about getting a trap and I might do just that if I have any luck with them this time. I don't think I'm going to be able to get to a tackle shop before Sunday so might have to resort to line caught this time. Should be easy enough to catch though shouldn't they? I've seen enough kids bagging up on them at narra :)

at my spot for poddys if you berley some bread they go nuts. they would be easy to catch on hooks but i use a trap with bread and usually bag out after checking the trap twice. but i cant seem to keep them alive for very long and have only caught flatties on them but thats what we were targeting im sure a change of spot and or tactics would see other species take them.

Cheers

Deano

Hello fellow raiders!

I'm just after your thoughts on using poddy's as livebait in MH (land-based) for Kings / Salmon / Tailor / Lizards / Jews etc? I'm going to be fishing the evening high tide on Sunday with the misses (read we're going for a picnic and I'm taking my rods :) ) so thought it would be a nice relaxing way to fish to stick out a few livies and see what turns up. I'm most likely going to be at clontarf or possibly spit bridge north.

I would normally use yakkas but everything coming out of Balmoral (my local reliable yakka spot) seem to be too big to use as livies - they're all 20-25cm+ So I thought I might nip up to Narrabeen lake on Sunday morning and grab a bucket of poddy's to use instead. I've heard that poddy's will stay alive longer than yakkas too (they'll be in a large bucket with an aerator all day)

So will these make a good alternative to using yakkas when used in MH?

I'm also going to try for some squid on Sunday morning but they're not likely to stay alive until the evening.

I've actually never fished exclusively for poddy's either but have burleyed enough of them up at narra to know where they are. Presumably something like a #12 long shank under a float with small pieces of moulded bread is the way to go?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

Live mullet awesome for big flatty but if u want those big jewwies and kingies... You'll need those big yakkas

Bigger bait means bigger fish no yakka is too big for a jewwie

Live mullet awesome for big flatty but if u want those big jewwies and kingies... You'll need those big yakkas

Bigger bait means bigger fish no yakka is too big for a jewwie

You can fit most of a 60cm kingfish into a 25kg jewies mouth, so and A.dawg said there is no yakka to big for a jewie.

As for mullet burely them up with abit of bread, then a size 14 or 16 hook, 3-6kg line, handline, bread as bait simple, and you might also pick ups some gars too, but with gars let them run with your bait for a bit the stike, but not to hard. Some say you need expensive brand bread, but i find the cheap home brand works just as good.

Well the coles homebrand does!

Fresh squid is still top bait!

Cheers, Zac

Edited by the one that got away