Birds Going Mental - Again!

tuffy

Raiders, raiders, some of you are going to wonder about my fishing abilities, cos I certainly am.

You may recall a recent post where I battled a good tailor a couple of weeks ago with the tailor scoring round 1 and stealing off with my lure.

Wellllll, guess what. Went to the fave tackle shop at Drummoyne a few days after that event to replace said lost lure and invested another $19.95. Beauty, can't wait to test this one, so yesterday morning arrived at the same destination off Taronga Park about 9ish and the gulls were at it again -frenzied. On goes the new lure for a quick troll and I'm on - yahoo!!! A brief 2 minute struggle and PING!!!!

So, if any of you guys/gals snare a tailor with 2 lures hanging out of them, please be kind enough to return same. Just look for the red centre console slowly motoring around Syd Harbour with a sad look and that'll be me. Other than that I had numerous hook-ups with no landings - clever buggers these tailor. Did manage 1 bream that went 35cms from the same area and that was it.

The missus got fish for dinner - but I had snags !!!

Still, it beats working.

Cheers all,

Tuffy

Raiders, raiders, some of you are going to wonder about my fishing abilities, cos I certainly am.

You may recall a recent post where I battled a good tailor a couple of weeks ago with the tailor scoring round 1 and stealing off with my lure.

Wellllll, guess what. Went to the fave tackle shop at Drummoyne a few days after that event to replace said lost lure and invested another $19.95. Beauty, can't wait to test this one, so yesterday morning arrived at the same destination off Taronga Park about 9ish and the gulls were at it again -frenzied. On goes the new lure for a quick troll and I'm on - yahoo!!! A brief 2 minute struggle and PING!!!!

So, if any of you guys/gals snare a tailor with 2 lures hanging out of them, please be kind enough to return same. Just look for the red centre console slowly motoring around Syd Harbour with a sad look and that'll be me. Other than that I had numerous hook-ups with no landings - clever buggers these tailor. Did manage 1 bream that went 35cms from the same area and that was it.

Still, it beats working.

Cheers all,

Tuffy

running the trebals or a single hook

i run single hooks in my metal slugs and the hook up rates are alot better and more often than not they get pinned in the corner of the mouth so less lost lures

Still, it beats working.

Cheers all,

Tuffy

At least you managed to get into them Tuffy - I've been stood on the point at bradleys head on numerous occasions watching the tailor and salmon bust up just out of casting range, wishing I had a boat to go after them :(

They've been going off along that stretch between bradleys head and taronga zoo for a few weeks now. Always a few boats drifting around there first thing in the morning - I guess you're one of them!

Paul

Sorry for your loss, will check their bellies ..... if I ever manage to get one.

I was once fishing with floaters for Taylors.

The floater went down, I hooked and for a second I felt the weight. Then I lost hook, trace, swivel and of course the floater.

Till I realised they had a nibble at the GOLDEN swivel !!!!

Changed the Swivel to a black one, and since then no more problems.

Bad luck mate on losing them expensive lures.

Like Framedtrash I only throw out metal slices and 1/2 X 1/4ers at them, they seem to like them, as do Sabmo's.

To get the bigger ones you should troll whole dead garfish- BIG Taylor (Greenback's) LOVE them!!!

Just a small tip if you have gar's load them onto 4 X 4/0 or 5/0 ganged hooks with a long trace of wire you wil have them chomping to bits to get at the biat- and gee they smash it hard!

As they say, better luck next time budd

:P

you must be made of money russ

the only lures ill throw at taylor are cheap $7 metals

have had alot of luck with them with the taylor they dont seem to mind the cheap ones

Simon, I've already lost all my metals - only got the expensive ones left!!

Still, Xmas is just around the corner if your feeling festive,mate,buddy,pal !!!

The general run of tailer in the harbour should not be causing bustoffs unless you are fishing ultra light and have the drag a bit tight. Try a leader of 8-10kg connected with a double uni knot and take your time on the fish. Swapping the trebles over to single hooks (there are several brands available if you do some hunting) should also help hold them on better after the strike. Trebles will always result in a few lost surface fish but you really should not be losing expensive lures as most of the tailer will be hooked in the jaws on the rear hooks.

Kel

Simon, I've already lost all my metals - only got the expensive ones left!!

Still, Xmas is just around the corner if your feeling festive,mate,buddy,pal !!!

Mate,

Try a faster retrieve so they cannot swallow the whole lure or a short bit of wire trace. They will still hit the lure and you are less likely to be bitten off.

Also, they are so aggressive, instead of using a metal slug or minnow, grab a sinker and put some white paint and glitter on it. Cheap and nasty but effective, especially if you are losing lures!!!

Cheers,

Andrew

Mate,

The Only thing I can think of is to Look at your line weight and how old it is.

Might be worth putting a stronger line for a start you could then go from your main line to some sort of leader probably 20lb or heavier just in the event that you run into Kingies but by what I hear most people have alot of success using wire trace's which you can make up your self in kit form or you can buy them pre-made.

The other thing about Tailor schools is when one is hooked up there is a good chance that other tailor will come and investigate and might even have a go them-self at either the fish hooked or the lure and in the process might bite off the line in doing this. That's where the wire comes in handy.

I personally have not had alot of experience with Tailor boil ups but I have learned alot from this website and reading books that I have been given.

I hope that what I have mentioned helps in some way,

Regards,

Nathan