Rod To Match Saragosa 18000f

Young Gun

Hi raiders,

Just wanted some insight into what rod would match a Saragosa 18000f. I will mostly be using it as a jigging/live baiting combo but will also hopefully get out there and use it for some YFT in winter, or maybe even some small blacks in the upcoming season. Am i asking to much out of one single rod? I will be running 80lb suffix braid if that helps. Any information would be very much appreciated.

Thanks guys, Young Gun :beersmile:

Edited by Young Gun

Hi Young Gun

If your running 80lb braid you would want to match it up to a PE6 or pe8 rated rod at least. With rod in that category you won't be asking too much for what you want to do ie jigging, cubing fins and even trolling, it would most certainly handle a small marlin.

What sort of budget are you on for the rod as you know there is a wide range of rods out from $300 to over a grand. Let us know how much you intend spend that way we can give you ideas of rods in that price range.

Cheers,

Sz1

Guest Big-Banana

You might have 80lb, but unless your harnessed in, you're going to struggle to push it to the max. I like the Okuma V System Sticks. That or a Nitro stick.

i must say i love my Shimano Jigwrex

they have a model in PE5,PE6,PE8

i have the s605 which is 6'0" rated to 300gm jiggs and PE5 i run 50lb on it

as Big-Banana said running 80lb on a PE8 rod if you connect to some thing big enough its going to pull you in

im not a small guy im 6"4 and i think i would even struggle holding onto the rod when fully loaded up

and in all reality i dont think your ever going to need all that power

Edited by Framedtrash

I have a Jig wrex 526 (not one of the new ones) with a 14000 with 80lb braid and think it works well. My mate has a 508 and i think it feels too stiff for jigs under 300g to be able to make the action feel nice. The 508 does have larger guides than the 526 but i haven't had any leader knot problems with the 526 using 80lb leaders with a mid-knot I have another friend who uses a T-curve Deep Jig 400 and that has the power while still giving a nice action to the Jig. The T-curve has a thicker fore-grip and slightly shorter butt than the Jig wrex but that stuff is up to personal feel. These rods should come within or close to budget.

I haven't used any other brand jig rods.

Hi Mate,

The Jig Wrex is a nice rod i have the 508 as well, this thing is a broom stick, but the 526 Pe6 feel much better, if you shop around you can pick these up for around $300, the T-curve is a great rod, i have the 200 and have taken it to perth loaded with 80lb and still pulled Sambos up to 20kgs no problems, however the grips and thicker and rear grip is shorter as mentioned, i like my reag grip long and grip genrally thinner and this is my preference when it comes to jigging as i find it more comfortable.

There is also the Daiwa Monster mesh range which seem pretty good value for money, it is worth a look although i have never used one before so i can't really comment on the performance.

Daiwa also has a Catalina rang which i have seen in action is looked very good the action is great and a nice parabolic curve, these might be a slight bit over $350 but worth a look.

All those rod are off the shelf and readiely available, best advice is to go into a tackle shop and load one up and see how you like it.

Cheers,

Sz1