Cheaper Alternatives To Top End Rods And Reels

rockfisherman

Hi Raiders...

Next year ill be heading to Fiji to punish my self when I'm up against some big GT's....

I do have a 20000 Stella which ill be taking, but was advised to take a back up reel, and was curious what Raiders out there have used up against the awesome pulling power of a GT.

One guy i spoke had used an Emblem Pro 5500 which didnt make it back to Sydney...

As for rods I wouldnt know where to begin...

Here are some Images of Popper thats been Crunched by GT's

gday mate,

factors for choosing a rod you probably could consider

the weight of lures being thrown - no use throwing 250gm lures on a rod rated to 150gm as that is suicide for the rod

the pe rating of your line- you dont want to run pe5 through a rod rated to pe8 or 10 or your line will and lure will go bye byes

the max drag rating of the rod at certain angles depending on whether you want to high stick it to gain line or hit it with manipulation of different angles of 45 or less

the length minimum 7 foot for casting distance

i have a smith gtk 70jp with a stella 8000 running saltiga pe5, the rod is a 20lb pe5 rod that can really take some stick its rated to 7kg drag at 45 degree and 4.5kg at 90 degrees, doesnt sound like a lot but it is quite a fair bit for the smaller models...have seen videos of guys at the local tackle shop reeling in 30kg gt's in exmouth on that rod with a saltiga 4500z

the 20000 stella would be a touch too big for that kind of rod though..

some alternatives depending on your budget could be a saltiga muramura 20kg drag pe5-8

smith komodo dragon rated to some phenominal amount of drag and pe 10-12 or something

other smith rods you can check out on their website along with ripple fisher rods

a custom could also be built up dependng on how much time you have until you leave

try to get a rod with a large stripper guide like a minimum 30 as it allows the line to run through it a lot quicker

If you need a backup reel because the Stella let's go, ya going to need one just as good if not better! :biggrin2:

Maybe a 18000 with a casting spool ;)

The Marvericks look freaking hot and I think a must have for any tackle junkie :thumbup:

Rods start at Shimano GT specials to Saltigas, Ripple Fishers, Smiths and Fishermans with a couple of other brands that could slot in between them and most probably in that sorta order dependant on budget and time frames. Even have a look on GT sites for second hand if your into that sorta thing.

If your throwing expensive lures throw it on 100lb min, some are $100+ once rigged so theres no point in mucking around!

Learn knots and practice!

Go to the gym and start training, it hurts! :1crybaby:

Personally I would rather have faith in one great outfit than two average ones....

G

If you need a backup reel because the Stella let's go, ya going to need one just as good if not better! :biggrin2:

Exaxtly what i was thinking!! If the stella fails you than anything less is not gonna last so maybe just have spare spools in case you get low on line.

Diabalo 10000.

Australian made and apparently pulls 130lb of drag $695 retail.

not that anyone would be able to hang onto it with that amount of pressure

The 130lbs is the line class which the reel is capable of not the drag. The reel looks promising but.

wanna fish ios right 130lb is the line class the drag on it is 36kg but as someone has already said good luck holding onto it with that pressure on it rod wise id be looking at atleast a tcurve gt at the minimum although i am seeing and liking some of the xzoga rods which can be landed here in aus for around 220 because of the exchange rate