The Black Plague

leatherjacket

Hi guys,

I havn't been able to catch squid over the last two weeks. :( So I went to my local wharf and decided to catch some livies and use them.

As soon as I put a bait in the water the Sweap would swarm it and the yakkas were just too slow! Very frustrating! :1badmood:

Does anyone have a technique to catch yakkas in these conditions, that is without using a casting net? :1prop:

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by leatherjacket

I use split shot to sink the bait faster, drop burley at my feet and cast out away from the burley. Works for me

Yep exactly the same technique for me. Split shot 6-8" from the hook, a little burley at me feet to bring in the sweep (especially dry bread crumbs as it brings them to the surface), then at the same time put your hook 6 feet away (or more). The yakkas come further away from the burley to find your bait than you might think. I find that those yakkas right IN the burley are far harder to hook than those hanging around the perimeter.

I also find I hookup more if I use a small stick float - it allows you to add more weight to get the bait down quicker whilst still giving the sensitivity to detect the bite.

Paul

The first trick i try is coarse language. If that doesn't work i burley in close like the boys have said put on a little more lead and try to cast out to the back of the school. You can also fish a sabiki rig with a 1oz sinker, cast it past the school and bring it back underneath them, sometimes the yakkas will sit under the sweep.

Try different areas. We used to always use one or 2 primary spots for yakkas. Neeedless to say we have hit neither of them in over 2 months and we get yakkas all the time, every time. If all your getting are sweep or mado's... MOVE spots!

You will always get them if you have a dozen or so spots to target them up your sleeve.

Dan

Edited by Dan and Greg

I honestly had to laugh at your post heading " Black Plague"

"The Black Death is estimated to have killed 30% to 60% of Europe's population, reducing the world's population from an estimated 450 million to between 350 and 375 million in 1400"

I can't see how catching Sweep over Yellowtail reverts to the Plague, however your description is comical to say the least, and it gave me a good laugh.

Maybe you could rename your post to - "Great Pestilence".

Just for a bit of trivia for those who care ( maybe Donna being another Nurse), but The Plague ( Yersernia Pestis ) is still active and has many flare ups around the world, mainly in African nations like DRC, and also China.

Next time I am fishing for Yakkas I will think of the flea, rat and Black Death....LOL!

Just being silly....LOL!

So let me get this straight ........ you fish for "yakkas" in Alaska ???????, you call them by their correct name "Yellowtail", (I hope you don't fish for them in yellow snow????) are they the same species ???

Who is Donna????

LOL.........thanks Tadphole,

Donna is Mrs Swordie....

No in Alaska there is no need to fish for yakkas, because of the fish I catch ( Arctic char, Northern Pike and Salmon) are all pretty easy, bordering on insane to catch. The "favourite" bait to use is a piece of white plastic shopping bag on the hook, or else a bit of Orange Peel.

I do n ot know If you know my past Tad- however I have grown up, and lived most of my life on the Northern Beaches of Sydney.

yellow Snow.......LOL, that is just a joke...gotta pee sometime right?.

If you really want a challenge, try "fishing" for Bearded Seal- 600 pounds, and having to stand above their breathing hole for hours and hours not moving, being totally silent in -50c weather. that is the definition of a challenge. Having said that, I have not caught one yet, but have spent many trips with Inuit doing this.

To sum up, if you haven't had the chance to fish in Alaska or the Arctic let me tell you that it is unbelieveable, and bordering on simply crazy. don't believe me?- then come up and visit me and you will walk away saying " why the hell do I live in Australia?".

matt

Edited by Nanook