Depth Sounder Advice

fishmaniac

Hey all,

I am planning on installing a depth sounder in my tinnie. Fishing blind wastes a lot of time, especially when targeting kings etc.

I am looking for something small, compact and reasonably inexspensive as all i need it for is to identify basic bottom structure (change in depth) and fish. I was having a look at the pirahnamax series from humminbird or similar. If anyone has any other suggestions that would be good.

Also, I was wondering where i could get a small compact battery to power it. I am not needing a large marine battery to simply power the sounder. Perhaps the yakking boys could help me out here?

Cheers,

Andrew

I had once a portable one: Screen on top of battery based.

It did have a transom mount AND a floating sounder island. Was an Eagle, did work reasonably well.

took 4 Huge Batteries !!! Only used with Duracell.I needed a charger for them.

I also had a Humminbird SMARTCAST RF35 Wrist Mount. Not good (works only with no wind, and 10m distance and 10m depth)

Maybe something like Eagle FISHEASY 245DS Portable

or a Garmin Fishfinder 140 they only cost around $160-80

had one on my boat before i upgraded and had no problems

install the transducer on one of the removable plates so the whole setup is removable

would run fine off one of those little 12v battery's

Edited by Framedtrash

If you are targeting kings on a budget get X125/X126/X136/X135 sounder B&W sounder

New you can pick them up for around $350 (superceded models)

Or on blah blah poop they are around $150

I got one of blah blah poop for $49 on Sunday - as a replacement for one I lost and a backup for my HDS5

as it is the same cables.

X125 I fished with for 5 years - only reason I upgraded was it went missing from my boat :mad3:

it is 480x480 resolution and works well in the harbour

Kings show up clear as a bell as per the picture below

post-2971-1260782695_thumb.jpg

versus the HDS5

post-2971-1260782938_thumb.jpg

which is slightly better and in colour - but wont make difference in catching fish

Anything less than 480x480 will not give a very clear picture, and more than that is probably overkill for the harbour.

Run it off a $99 jumper pack battery by terminating the sounder power cables into a male cigarette

lighter plug - it will last all day off that, they only draw 500ma and still probably be able to jump start the car if you have a flat battery

Most of the cheapies are 17aH so it should last 32 hours without the backlight, 20 hours with the light on

I wouldnt bother with the cheaper sounders, they will only show the bottom depth, and still

leave you blind to fish and structure. The X125 will show a wreck clearly and it will look very different

to the surrounding bottom, the cheapies will just show a rise connected to the bottom

Jason

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I will definately take it on board and have a look at the different models. That is a good point burley king made with regard to identifying wrecks etc.

Cheers guys,

Andrew

Hey Andrew,

I just went thru the exercise of down-sizing my battery. Picked up a "sealed" 12v, 7AH battery for $40 from DSE. It is the battery that they use for house alarm back-up. It's rechargable.

I've seen them on a popular online auction site for about $32 inc delivery.

I have a Garmin FF120 and it draws about 0.5 A/H, so it lasts ages before a recharge.

Good luck, Rosco