Centre Consoles Vs Runabout Vs Side Consoles

fisho.sid

Hi Guys,

Hoping you fisho enthusiast could help rest my indecisiveness.

I would like to purchase a fishing boat that is friendly to hold some mates and would ideally like to go offshore to the fads.

Space, Protection from elements, purpose for boats, poly vs aluminum etc has all taken a toll in my inability to make a decision.

I have seen many and thought i came to rest with the centre console for its space and purposely built for fishing.

taking a look at members boats on here, i see the majority of runabouts follow by side/centre type consoles.

Can someone give me some advice... any would be helpful.

Thanks

G'day fisho.sid,

There's no such thing as the perfect boat for everything... they all compromise somewhere. You have to start by being really clear exactly what you want to do with the boat.

If offshore the fads is your thing, then the first thing I'd recommend is that you go fibreglass. It's heavier and rides much softer... good things offshore. The other, more durable option but not quite as soft or quiet would be one of the specfically designed plate boats like a Bar Crusher or Noble... or a pontoon boat like Huett Marine's Aqualines.

Center console configurations are much better to fish out of as you can work all around your boat instead of just from the back. This is really useful if you think you might be doing the sort of fishing where you'll be casting a lot... like plastic fishing or throwing lures at pelagics. But you don't get much protection from the elements.

A cabin configuration will let you get out of the rain or spray if you're likely to be fishing a lot on those sorts of days but is a little less versatile to fish from. A centre cabin is a compromise that gives you good protection and the ability to walk around to the bow but there's not really fishable room beside the cabin.

Be really honest with yourself and decide exactly what sort of uses you want for the boat and let everyone know... will offshore fad trips be all you do? Then it will be a lot easier to decide what the most suitable options are.

Cheers, Slinky

If operating in a seaway, the side of a boat is not the best place to be sitting. Small boats are extremely trim sensitive in all directions, and require constant movement to stand them up right.

A centre console that you can stand at is always going to be better outside.

Side consoles can still go outside, but you'll find yourself moving gear and filling live bait tanks etc to get the trim right - then you'll change directions and have to do it all over again....