Hacking Kingie

Krispy !

Hey Raiders,

This morning i went down to the Port Hacking to get some squid for a sesh tommorrow morning. I got there the wind was howling and the wharf was empty. "You Beaut" i thought. I went down with a rod for squidding and a rod one the side for anything else around.

Anyway, the squidding was slow, I had two in about 40 minutes and was re-baiting the other rod when i saw six kingies cruising about 2 metres under the surface then went in the direction of a moored boat :1yikes::1yikes: . I jumped for the squid in the bucket and whacked it on the hook.

I casted it right under the boat and out of nowhere a kingie comes up and whacks it, I then release the bail arm as the kingie moves off, I count to three and close the bail arm and strike! ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!

The drag was screaming like no tommorrow and i couldn't do anything but hope the 30lb braid and 20lb line holds. The king stops for a few seconds and then makes a V line towards the pylons. I tighten the drag and start the pump and wind. It was a wrestle from then on in and i was dodging pylons and running from side to side.

I eventually tired the bugger out and got him to the surface but here was the next challenge, doing a solo net job. I grabbed the trace as the king was thrashing about underneath and got him at full stretch. I was STOKED at the sight of the kingie on the concrete with the end of my line in his mouth. He went 76cms and a good 4kgs. :yahoo::thumbup::1clap:. I just wished i could have brought my camera as i thought i was just going for a squidding session. How wrong i was.

I finished up with: 7 squid

1 kingie

1 just legal snapper

It was a pretty good day bar the wind and i think this kingie season is going to be an absolute cracker, so strike the iron while it's hot people!!

seriola lalandi,

Edited by seriola lalandi

Well Done!!!

Must be Kingy Season :1prop: They Seem to be Everywhere!!!

Ive caught 2 in the past 3 days probably could have caught more but I left after I caught each of them Cant wait to get my brother onto them as he is super keen!!!!

and hats off to you landing it solo that's a daring effort and you nailed it!!!!!! :thumbup:

Regards,

Nathan

Congratulations, sounds like an awesome session. :thumbup:

That is EXACTLY what i want to hear, kings appearing in the hacking YAHOO.

Time for some early weekday morning sessions.

Btw, mind telling which wharf it was at :P

Edited by monch

That was my first legal landbased hacking king. And beginner is 100% right, these kings are everywhere. I usually bring a rod on the side for whatevers around while i'm squidding and i catch a few fish on top most of the time but a king is a really pleasant surprise. Thanks for the nice comments.

And again, GET OUT THERE, ITS FIRING!!

cheers,

seriola lalandi,