Shopping For A Downrigger

DGF

Hey guys i've decided to get a downrigger put on my boat now ive been told to look for 3 specific brands "scottys" "canon" and the "penn" by fellow raider from bias boating :P now i went to my local tackle store and he has all 3 there on special ranging from $400-$550 starting with the penn as the cheapest then the scotty's and the canon what iwant to know is which of these 3 would be a good enough to start out with and be the better the Penn one has a longer arm which means it can sit out furtherand in my opinion would suit a bit better as it will avoid getting near the motor etc..

however i did like the scotty's one was compact and looked a charm the canon to me looked about the same as the scotty's.

now i know most people are buying the scotty's but i just want to know why that is.

scotty 1050s is the most popular downrigger on the market

the models below this in the scotty range are made for lakes and aint made for holding the bigger 10lb bombs needed at times when the current picks up

the models up for this are made for fishing deep sea where you need bigger bombs 12lb+ and they have a high line retrive compared to the 1 foot 1 turn that the 1050s have

never tried the penns but ive heard they do the job same goes for the walker

i have 2 scotty 1050s on my boat never have ne problems with them

you can get the scotty's on the american auction sites for around $220...a bit late for you DGF sorry i only just saw the post, but others may be interested... but that does not include the bomb etc...

Edited by dicko