New Outboard Restrictor/governor?

Gorms

G'day everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows of the mercury 4 stroke 60hpr having a restrictor or governor which is removed after the first service?

I met a guy with the exact same boating package and his boat seemed to go a fair bit quicker- even after having more gear in it. Same prop, same petrol. 

A mate suggested maybe they use a restrictor to stop over use during early stages of the outboard. 

Cheers. 

Dave. 

Hi Dave, no such thing and being the big brother in the family, 60HP is the most you can get from that block. Yes on some carby 4-strokes you can remove a restrictor and get a little more performance, but not on your engine and not if an EFI.

This is the classic case of two boats of the same model that perform differently-IF in case that is true- I have met many people who claim their boats perform better than they really do once on a GPS. If it does go much better than get your engine cheked out to make sure she is reaching 100% throttle and mechanically sound. IF all is good with the outboard it will be the boats fault and your hull will mostly likely have a hook in it that causes it to "stick"to the water and causes a lose of performance. I tend to run a different boat every second day and trust me some boats are terrible and very boggy in the water and no matter how much HP you fit on the transom they will never perform as well as they should or as well as other boat of the same model.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Dave, no such thing and being the big brother in the family, 60HP is the most you can get from that block. Yes on some carby 4-strokes you can remove a restrictor and get a little more performance, but not on your engine and not if an EFI.

This is the classic case of two boats of the same model that perform differently-IF in case that is true- I have met many people who claim their boats perform better than they really do once on a GPS. If it does go much better than get your engine cheked out to make sure she is reaching 100% throttle and mechanically sound. IF all is good with the outboard it will be the boats fault and your hull will mostly likely have a hook in it that causes it to "stick"to the water and causes a lose of performance. I tend to run a different boat every second day and trust me some boats are terrible and very boggy in the water and no matter how much HP you fit on the transom they will never perform as well as they should or as well as other boat of the same model.

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks very much for your reply mate.

Maybe I got unlucky with a "boggy" boat. Maybe I'll look into a improved prop or something in the future.

Cheers again

Dave.

Hi Dave, yes playing with SST props (I imagine you only have an alloy prop) can make a huge difference. Props are very important to performance and SST perform better than alloy. Also with a SST prop you can usually run the engine higher on the transom for even better performance. What is your WOT RPM with your normal load at present?

Cheers,

Huey.