Fishing Weipa

Jethro

Myself and a couple of mates have been tossing around the idea of heading off to Weipa for 2 weeks about this time next year. I have had a look at a couple of the web sites and the place looks awesome.

I would intersted to hear any stories from people that have been. What should we expect fishing wise. Did you use a guide?

After reading an article in Saltwater (I think it was) one of my mates has his heart set on Exmouth but I still prefer Weipa (from what little I know on both places). ANy other suggestions on where we should look at??

Thanks in advance :yahoo:

Thanks Telco. Some great photos there.

Haven't decided on Weipa as yet so am willing to look at other options. The main reason I was looking at Weipa was it will only cost 30,000 frequent flyer points to get there and I have enough for me any my 2 mates....

Sydney - Cairns- Weipa and back for 30,000 points. Will Qantas do that?

In the cooler months you might find the fishing less active. Particularly when its windy.

Regardless of where you are fishing, local knowledge is invaluable.

If you want to get onto the best spots you have to pay for a reputable guide. However if you are simply wanting to have a great time with some mates for 2 weeks then organise your own outing.

I have not fished Weipa but I've heard reports of cashed up mine workers who buy a charter boat with all good intentions but lose interest over time.

Best to avoid them. Make sure you get a personal reccomendation.

Best of luck.

MH

Point 1

Admission - I have used this post to unashamedly post photos of fish

Signed

Patrick

Now I have got that off my chest.

I have been to both siesha and wiepa

Siesha has some great fishing and a couple of guides to choose from but you would need to book quickly as once the road is open it gets pretty busy

If you dont have a boat siesha has a jetty to fish off..........higher off the water and less chance of biteys!

Here is a photo of the jetty

We were there for about 8 days and caught mackos, quennies, TV's, sharks, hooked a cod (sought of), tarpon etc... Hint - Jig some herring or squid and float them just beyond the lights at night and hang on

post-75-1112872373_thumb.jpg

post-75-1112872536_thumb.jpg

Weipa was a great place but the days we where there it wa bloody windy so we went out to the pennefarther river, it was great, but didnt do too much fishing though

Or you could go to the territory

post-75-1112872747_thumb.jpg

post-75-1112872766_thumb.jpg

Guest Jocool
Point 1

Admission - I have used this post to unashamedly post photos of fish

Signed

Patrick

41302[/snapback]

Beatiful!!! :074::074: Just what I was hoping for! :tease:

Jethro

A mate of mine is up at Weipa at the moment. A mate of his owns an operation called Weipa Houseboat Adventures, its only a new operation so dose not have a website but if you pm me a fax number I will fax you his brochure. Very good price and the set up is, houseboat as mother ship, 2 x 5m dories, BYO tackle and grog, everything else is included, professinal cook on board, lacal knowlage and all for $2500.00 pp (based on 6 poeple) ex Brisbane.

Hope this helps, Ill let you know how the boys went when they get back.

Weasel

I lived in Weipa for about 5 months in 1990, if you go there you will have a ball.

Depending on youre situation Weipa can be a cheap option, caravan park not to dear, hire boats available town small so you can get everywhere on foot, Woolies for provisions, The Albatross or the Stubby Hut down on the water for refreshments.

If youve only got a couple of weeks hook up with a guide for the first couple of days and make it clear that you want tips and DIY, he may not take you to his best spots in this situation but he'll show you heaps of his second stringers and tip you off on how to find your own, and what methods to use, not bringing the industrial esky and your filletting knifes and being keen on catch and release will also help his being forthcoming, Flyrods also make a good impression.

As far as seasons go, geneally the hotter the better.

Try for Barra after dark on fizzers poppers etc under the rail bridge on the north side of town, landbased. Queenies and trevors around the loading wharfs.

Boat, the rivers, the channel markers, any rocky shoreline,

Regards Pogo

PS look out for big lizards if fishing landbased

:1wallbash::1wallbash: I totally for got about this post. Thanks all for your responses and great photos

Sydney - Cairns- Weipa and back for 30,000 points. Will Qantas do that?

41279[/snapback]

G'day Heck - When I checked it on the Qantas web site thats what it said

if you pm me a fax number I will fax you his brochure.

41354[/snapback]

Sounds good Weasel. I will get a PM off to you with a fax number.

Pogo - That is what the plan was going to be as the guides can be a bit exy on our tight budget. Its good to hear there are a few DIY options available.

Thanks again